High nitrates fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it normal to have a high nitrate reading durin the fishless cycle? I have a new 5.5g tank to put my betta in once cycled. I tested the water and I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite but nearly 60ppm nitrates! Is this normal as I don't recall it being that high in my other tanks

Nitrates are product at the end of the cycle. You lower them by doing water changes. Sometimes plants can help too, but you'll still likely have to replace the water when it gets too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi. 60 ppm nitrate is not that high whilst fish less cycling. I usually keep nitrates under 100 during a fish less cycle and only dilute it to under 20 when it's time to add fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a betta in my 5.5 gallon tank and during my fishless my nitrates shot off the chart and I kept on adding ammonia and my final water change everything balanced out. But when that happened I waited a week to make sure all good before getting her. I did do a moss ball from pet smart and a plant during the no fish cycle to help with my bacteria build up and they helped a lot. So far (knock on glass) my levels stay consistent. Patience plays a key with the fish less cycle . Good luck and post a picture. I have one of my girl on here you will to scroll down. She is orange in color and a crown tail .

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom