High Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Using a 6 GAL QT to introduce new fish to my 55 GAL tank.
Had it for a few months by now and it was cycled using an old large sponge filter. (it also has it's orig "hang on" filter running all this time)
A week ago, after I moved it's temporary residents to my main tank I decided to rearrange a bit the decoration to make more room in it, by removing the large filter, thinking that the orig filter that came with the tank should have enough bacteria in it by now.
Everything looked okay when testing the the water and got 3 tiny Kuhlies (1.5 inch), 2 small Peacock Gudgeons (1 inch) and one medium Dwarf Gourami (1.5 inch). Added a bit of Dr.Tim's One And Only bacteria just to be on the safe side. Next day when tested the water it showed a bit of Ammonia with no Nitrite (I'm thinking a mini cycle) and did a couple of PWC w/Prime to keep fish comfy.
Third day (and still going) Ammonia became 0 but it seems that I can't get the Nitrites to 0 (oscillating between 0.25 and 2.0)
At this point I'm doing 1 to 3 (30-50%) PWC a day and hoping for the Nitrites to lower soon.
Please let me know what can I do to make this process faster.

Hi! Taking the big filter off threw your tank back into a cycle especially with 6 fish in a 6g. Can you possibily put the filter back on with some cycled media from your other tank? This will speed things up. Just stay on top of wcs in the meantime to keep your new fish healthy while your tank stabilizes.

Yeah, it sounds like a mini cycle is going on. I don't have other advice besides keep doing the water changes. If there is anywhere else you can borrow cycled filter media from, that would help it out a lot.

jlk said:
Hi! Taking the big filter off threw your tank back into a cycle especially with 6 fish in a 6g. Can you possibily put the filter back on with some cycled media from your other tank? This will speed things up. Just stay on top of wcs in the meantime to keep your new fish healthy while your tank stabilizes.

So i need more colonies of bacteria?

Yeah, it sounds like you do need more bacteria. They will grow on their own, but if you can borrow some filter media from somewhere else with bacteria on it, that would help.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, it sounds like you do need more bacteria. They will grow on their own, but if you can borrow some filter media from somewhere else with bacteria on it, that would help.

What i thought is interesting is that Ammonia is 0 so it looks like there is enough bacteria to consume Ammonia but then it gets stuck at transforming Nitrites into Nitrates :-(

almcloud said:
What i thought is interesting is that Ammonia is 0 so it looks like there is enough bacteria to consume Ammonia but then it gets stuck at transforming Nitrites into Nitrates :-(

I'm dealing with that right now in a 10 gallon qt tank...the ammonia bacteria are there but the nitrite bacteria are taking forever!?

Yep. It is a different bacteria that converts the nitrite into nitrate. The good thing is that since the ammonia is already being converted, the other bacteria typically grow fairly speedy. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Yep. It is a different bacteria that converts the nitrite into nitrate. The good thing is that since the ammonia is already being converted, the other bacteria typically grow fairly speedy. :)

Thanks a lot!

absolutangel04 said:

Ps: Do you think i might have over dosed with Dr.Tims One And Only bacteria and it converted a lot of Ammonia and now bacteria for Nitrites are backed up?

Back
Top Bottom