How long before the beneficial bacteria die???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayne1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm wondering roughly how long from the time you collect it, the bacteria will survive in a piece of mature filter sponge. I've added mature media to my filter with no signs of it helping my cycling process. It took me about an hour to get it home

As long as it did not dry out, it's fine. There aren't as many studies on the bacteria that eats nitrite, but the bacteria that eats ammonia for example can live for MONTHS without food (there have been several science studies and papers written on this).

Did you put it in your filter touching your new media (this is the most effective way)

When was this?

What were your readings then and now?

You don't have to answer all the questions, it just seems like you need more assistance :)

I did put the media touching the existing media, this was a week ago. It's hard for me to keep track of my readings I test my water everyday and its always around 0.5ppm amm no nitrite. I do 30/50% water changes everyday. Should I stop doing water changes so frequently? I knew nothing about cycling when I started out so I've got 4 juvenile angels and some corys all stuck in a fish in cycle. Should I try and return them? I really don't want them to be harmed by my ignorance

As long as it did not dry out, it's fine. There aren't as many studies on the bacteria that eats nitrite, but the bacteria that eats ammonia for example can live for MONTHS without food (there have been several science studies and papers written on this).

Did you put it in your filter touching your new media (this is the most effective way)

When was this?

What were your readings then and now?

You don't have to answer all the questions, it just seems like you need more assistance :)

Can I ask what about if sitting in a canister filter not running? A few days I gather at least perhaps?

Can I ask what about if sitting in a canister filter not running? A few days I gather at least perhaps?
I am not 100% sure since a canister is a fairly closed environment, and one thing that they do need is oxygen as they are entirely aerobic. There is evidence that the nitrospira (nitrate-nitrate BB) are better adapted to a low oxygen environment, but the nitrosomonas (ammonia-nitrite BB) are definitely aerobic. (source from various papers I read) It wasn't clear to me if a lack of oxygen causes them to go dormant, or actually causes them to die.

So - I'm not quite sure. I'm not sure how much oxygen they NEED, like perhaps the amount left saturating the water is enough for a few days, but maybe not.

Inconclusive! Sorry :(

I did put the media touching the existing media, this was a week ago. It's hard for me to keep track of my readings I test my water everyday and its always around 0.5ppm amm no nitrite. I do 30/50% water changes everyday. Should I stop doing water changes so frequently? I knew nothing about cycling when I started out so I've got 4 juvenile angels and some corys all stuck in a fish in cycle. Should I try and return them? I really don't want them to be harmed by my ignorance

I'm sorry :( It must be so frustrating. It should definitely be helping to have the media in there. If you're ok with your ongoing work then just keep at it. You're doing the right thing and have the right attitude about it all.
Have you tested your tap water for ammonia or nitrites? This could be making a difference.

I am not 100% sure since a canister is a fairly closed environment, and one thing that they do need is oxygen as they are entirely aerobic. There is evidence that the nitrospira (nitrate-nitrate BB) are better adapted to a low oxygen environment, but the nitrosomonas (ammonia-nitrite BB) are definitely aerobic. (source from various papers I read) It wasn't clear to me if a lack of oxygen causes them to go dormant, or actually causes them to die.

So - I'm not quite sure. I'm not sure how much oxygen they NEED, like perhaps the amount left saturating the water is enough for a few days, but maybe not.

Inconclusive! Sorry :(

Thanks. Yes, wondering now. I've left it off overnight and it has been ok but longer than a few days seems a stretch - might do a separate post out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom