How Many Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohitsremi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 36g bowfront aquarium with a fluval 206 canister filter. Right now I have 2 spotted cories and 1 panda cory. 2 dwarf gouramis, and 3 male guppies.

How many angelfish would I be able to put in there?

I was also thinking of adding a school of rummynose tetra, and/or bleeding heart tetras. and probably adding more panda cories since his buddies died and he won't school with the spotted ones... (I do have another 10g tank with 2 panda cories and I considered moving him in there but I wasn't able to catch him at all... my tank is planted and has lots of driftwood. My 10g has about 8-10 cherry shrimp, a very friendly and curious betta, 4 neon tetras, and one amano shrimp. That tank is definitley heavily planted with a jungle of anacharis.

I was thinking 2 because I really wanted a prodominant white one and a predominant black one so I can name them Yin and Yang:fish2::cool:

Youll be able to fit 2 if they are a pair. If not id stick to one. Not sure about the extra stocking though.

I would go with more cories of the same species, but do either on or a pair of angels or the tetras, not both. Good luck!

I just got some angels. Guy at the store sold us into a pair. Very tiny baby size. Now I'm reading particularly on pairs and how they need to be mating pairs or one is basically marked for death. How long do we have and what are some signs. The smaller of the two is a major dick already and was chasing our huge molly out of whatever space it desired. The bigger of the two is super mellow.

Should I bring one back and eat the cost or watch closely and see how it plays out. I planned when they got to big to bring them back anyway.
Soryry to high jack but didn't want to start a new thread.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just got some angels. Guy at the store sold us into a pair. Very tiny baby size. Now I'm reading particularly on pairs and how they need to be mating pairs or one is basically marked for death. How long do we have and what are some signs. The smaller of the two is a major dick already and was chasing our huge molly out of whatever space it desired. The bigger of the two is super mellow.

Should I bring one back and eat the cost or watch closely and see how it plays out. I planned when they got to big to bring them back anyway.
Soryry to high jack but didn't want to start a new thread.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a gamble if its not a mating pair, especially in that size. Youll have to wait for maturing signs to actually sex them

mollies are prey fish the angel will try to eat it
if you have to small ones grow up together you have a good chance they will be ok together

There seems to be some confusion between pairs of fish ( as in 2 fish ) and pairs of fish ( as in breeding pairs.) It is very possible to have just 2 Angelfish that are not a breeding pair in a tank without much turmoil. Angelfish however are one of those fish that have a hierarchy system so there is always going to be a dominant fish and subordinates. Because of this, it is recommended that you have multiple Angels together to reduce the attention on any single subordinate. That being said, if the tank is large enough and the fish can get away from each other, there should be no problem. You just need to watch for over aggression ( where the other fish gets hurt) and separate the fish if that happens. Today's Angelfish are a culmination of a lot of breeding so certain traits have been passed along which is why some Angels are more aggressive than others. There is no way to tell from the outside what the fish is made up of on the inside. It would do you best to observe the fish in their tank at the store before choosing them. Chances are if the fish is an aggressive fish in the store, it will also be or will become aggressive in your tank.

As for how many Angels you can have in a tank really depends on the size of the fish in question. You can have more smaller fish in to start with but will need to thin out as the fish mature. You will eventually wind up, with this tank in question, with probably only 2 or 3 adults. But if your goal is to get breeding pairs, I suggest you put 5 or 6 smaller fish in there and let them grow up and pair and then start either removing the other fish or rehoming the pair to another tank. Until then, enjoy the view :D

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom