How many fish can I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a 70 litre tank which is currently in the cycling process. I have 2 platys and 1 guppie waiting to go into it. How many more of that size fish or smaller fish can I have in this tank? Any help and advice would be most grateful, thanks.

I've heard a lot of people say (take half the size of your tank and with that number is how many inch of fish you can have.) but I've only heard that in reference to gallons. I have a 75g so about 37 inch worth of fish an Angelfish will grow to about 3 maybe 4 inches. That one fish will account for 4 gallons. This is only a general guideline. The more you Stocks over that you will have more maintenance. Plus taking account for how happy the fish will be. ?

See the inch per gallon rule is bad. Don't go by it. So no 10inch Oscar In a 10gallon tank. Tetras and such like neons, you could haven't e of. See it's based off swimming room, bioload, and filtration

How Many Fish?

Hi, I have a 70 litre tank which is currently in the cycling process. I have 2 platys and 1 guppie waiting to go into it. How many more of that size fish or smaller fish can I have in this tank? Any help and advice would be most grateful, thanks.

Hello smouty...

If this is your first tank, then 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons is plenty until you get some experience taking care of the water. Once you've had a little time to get used to the rules of good tank management, you could safely double that number of small fish.

B

See the inch per gallon rule is bad. Don't go by it. So no 10inch Oscar In a 10gallon tank. Tetras and such like neons, you could haven't e of. See it's based off swimming room, bioload, and filtration

That's why I/they said half of your gallons so In 10 gallons you're only looking at 5 inches/gallons worth of fish and use it as a general guideline

I found this useful site. Http://aw advisor.com/aqadvisor.php put size of tank in and species of fish and it calculates how many fish you can have and compatibility issues etc.

Hello smouty...

If this is your first tank, then 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons is plenty until you get some experience taking care of the water. Once you've had a little time to get used to the rules of good tank management, you could safely double that number of small fish.

B
Hi, it's actually my 2nd tank. My 1 year old son has a 14 litre plastic tank which I maintain. I have got the api master test kit so I'm pretty clued up on water quality. The 14 litre tank is really overstocked at the moment with 2 platys and 1 guppie aswell as 15 fry! I'm having to do daily water changes. I can't move them over just yet because the new tank isn't fully cycled. I'm guessing that when I do add the fish to the new tank then that will become overstocked! Is this the case?

Regards

Russ

Back
Top Bottom