how often I should clean a 30gal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beef_cake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I recently purchased a 30 gal tank from a friend and got it setup, due to my lack of knowledge I was way over stocked (14 goldfish & pleco). Now due to deaths and returns to LFS I am down to 5 goldfish and the pleco, 3 of which are koi but one is very tiny. I only have 1 original 26 cent goldfish left after I bought 10, all the rest are fancy. My question is this... How often should I completely drain all the water out and clean the whole aquarium. I do frequent PWCs about twice a week ranging from 25%-50%. And when I do a complete water change, what all do I clean and replace (gravel, fake plants, river rocks, decorations, etc.). Thanks all in advance.

You shouldn't be doing a complete water change. By cleaning all of these elements you are causing your tank to cycle all over again.

Never change all you water. You have a lot of fish so the 50% twice a week is probably keeping things stable. As those fish grow I dont think any amount of PWC is going to keep the nitrates in check.

5 goldfish and a pleco are gonna fill your tank with poo. Personally unless you are attached to the goldfish I'd try to find them a pond. As for the pleco if it's a common pleco it too may eventually get to large for the tank so you might want to exchange it for a smaller variety.

As for water changes with that bioload I'd change as much as possible as often as possible.

You never want to completely empty your tank out and scrub everything down as that will kill off all your beneficial bacteria which mostly lives in the filter, on the rocks, and decorations. However people have different opinions on how much water can safely be changed at once. I've exchanged up to 90% of my water at once with no problems. The fish seem to love it. I'd change 95% at a time if I could but that would involve the fish lying on their sides!

Never replace your gravel. You should however vacumn all the pooh out of your gravel! The decorations can be removed from the tank and washed off if they are looking dirty however you shouldn't have to do that often and I wouldn't use any type of cleaner. The glass should be wiped with an algae scrubber. The fish don't leave the tank during cleanings.

What type of filter do you have? If it's a hang on the back you should be able to tell when the filter pad needs to be changed by the flow of the water coming out. If its an underground filter you need to get rid of it and buy a hang on the back one 8)

I'd highly recommend a python to make water changes easier if you don't already have one.

So I never have to totally clean the tank? or buy more gravel? just do normal PWCs? Wow that kind of a relief, but I wish I didn't buy more gravel when I got everything else. And yes, my filter is a hang-on. Thanks all for the help. As for the goldfish, all of my fish are very tiny(I think the biggest is like 2.5'' and thats the biggest koi) and I think they should be fine as for now. I do want a bigger aquarium, but im trying to find a nice used 75 gal or so.

As those fish grow I dont think any amount of PWC is going to keep the nitrates in check.

I agree or other parameters either. Your fish will grow quick and they are messy fish. If you are not planning to get the 75 soon you are going to have a hard time maintaining a stable and healthy tank IMO

Only if something goes terribly wrong, should you tear down the tank and clean it.
and by terribly wrong, I mean a bad bacterial infection that wipes out everything in the tank. At that stage, you really do wanna sterilize everything after killing off all the nasties.

Fairly uncommon for that to happen.

umm those fish, even the feeders will get huge, however by taking them back, chances are the feeders will just be fed to an oscar, or die in a massive over populated tank at the lfs.

if its legal to realease golfish in your state, do it, the goldfish will quickly outgrow that 30gal.

and the pleco, he needs a water heater if you want him to have a decently long life

Never release goldfish! It is a very bad idea to release non native species, especially a species that can outcompete natives. If they get too big you'll have to find a pond or give them to an lfs that will take them.

Back
Top Bottom