How often to feed fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jguid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need some help I am new to having fish I need to know how often and if there are "rules" to feeding my fish I have 2 goldfish and a plecos

Any advice would be great

I usually rotate flakes a pellets daily, then skip Sunday. For the pleco, I'd put a algae wafer in every other day. Or break it in half if you want. Thas what I do for my kuhli loaches.

Should I feed them slowly to avoid "food rot"
For the ammonia levels

The general rule of thumb is to feed them no more than they will consume in about a minute. Any food that's falling to the ground and not being eaten is contributing to ammonia levels.

I dunno, I probably over feed my fish, but they'll eat the tiny bits I put in there within 10 seconds like savages :lol:

Some species you can feed the baby/juvie ones 4-6 times a day.
I probably feed mine around 4 times - small, small small increments.

If you only have 2 goldfish maybe twice a day in really small amounts and a partial algae wafer maybe 2x a week for the pleco. Watch the tank when you feed them and make sure they eat it all - with the wafer, check around the next morning and make sure it's gone or almost gone.

I do recall hearing somewhere that goldfish don't have stomachs (or something like that) and need to constantly eat to survive - although i've never heard of anyone feeding them 6+ times a day haha

Wait, do you have goldfish and a pleco in the same tank? If so, the goldfish are coldwater fish and the plecos are warm water/tropical. Plus depending on what type of goldfish they are you'll need at least a 30 gal tank just for them, so you might have more issues than feeding I'm afraid.

Andrew McFadden said:
From what I know about turtles you're going to need 80+ gallon tank just for the turtle with a foot print of 6' long

Who was asking abt turtles?

By 2' wide and fill it like 20% full of water

Not sure if you can do a 4' long by 2' wide and fill it almost full of water and build something for it to get out of the tank.
This is what I did for my musk turtle and I have a 6'x2'x2' and filled it full but I have 30 some african Cichlids with it.

Andrew McFadden said:
By 2' wide and fill it like 20% full of water

Not sure if you can do a 4' long by 2' wide and fill it almost full of water and build something for it to get out of the tank.
This is what I did for my musk turtle and I have a 6'x2'x2' and filled it full but I have 30 some african Cichlids with it.

This is her setup to the specs of what the breed expert told us to get for her

Attachments

• image-58294737.jpg
    image-58294737.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 51
You only want to feed what the fish can consume in a couple min.
If you see food laying on the bottom that they wont eat then cut back more. This left over food will cause problems in water quality

Goldfish flakes are good or pellets as long as its small enough to fit in their mouths
And for the pleco algea disks and the algea that grows in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom