How to cycle a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What method do you use to cycle your tank?

• Dead Shrimp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A couple of live fish

• Add pure ammonia

• Total voters
You forgot Bio-Spira *grin*

I've cycled tanks with fish, have done fishless cycling and used Bio-Spira. My first choice is Bio-Spira followed by fishless cycling with ammonia.

In fact, I've started 2 tanks successfully with Bio-Spira, and just set up a QT tank this evening with Bio-Spira (I'll be testing for nitrogenous waste tomorrow).

Ok so i just filled it up with water and am going to get gravel tomorrow ( i know this i bassackwards lol). It is a 125 gallon. So what type of fish do you recommend to cycle with and how long should i wait to get them. I am going to have oscars and a tire track or fire eel and maybe an arawana eventually. So would one or 2 smallish oscars be too much to start with?

I prefer to start a tank with a few fish, some media from another tank, and a bit of bio-spira/cycle AND time. Time is the hardest ingredient to add :wink: :lol:

Can you get a hold of Bio-Spira? Would cycle the tank instantly and wondering what fish to use to cycle the tank would be a moot point.

I will see if any of the LFS have it. Thanks!!! I was going crazy thinking i would have to stare at an empty tank for a month!!! So i have a small biowheel on one side of the tank should i pour the biospira directly on the wheel or just in the water?

Makes no diff :) I've added it both ways and it worked well in both cases.

Just make sure you add it WITH the fish that will be living in there. If you wait to add the fish, the bacteria will die (no food - no fish waste).

Possum

if you have used a de-chorineator, have substrate and your filter running, you can add the fish-o-cycling along with some bio-spira. Then start testing the water until if falls into acceptable parms.

I find good fish to use are molies/swordtails/feeder guppies, depending on what you put in the tank they will remove the feeder guppies. The other fish you will have to remove if it is not a comunity tank.

What kind of filter did you get for the 125 gal?

It is an aquaclear 500 and it is HUGE lol

So im gonna go tomorrow and pick out my first fish if i can find some biospira. Thanks everyone and especially Allivymar!

one last thing, if your lfs has bio-spira it should be in their cooler. If they keep it on an open shelf the bacteria is probably not in good shape.

Ok ill be sure and remember that. Should i bring a cooler to bring it home in to keep it cool?

Around here (NY) I haven't been able to find Bio-Spira in the major chain stores, but one of my lfs carries it. You may have to look or call around to find a store that carries it. If you can't, let me know. I know of a place in Tennessee that ships.

Ok ill be sure to do that if i cant find it. Thanks so much for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom