How to get clear water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppermint

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 20 gallon aquarium. With 2 driftwoods, plastic plants & gravel. It's been about 3 months since I started. I feed the guppies crushed food, (brown, red color)

I think my water is getting tainted because of the food...making the aquarium look dirty and less appealing. Is there anyway I can avoid this? How do I keep the water clear?

Thank you!

Is it real driftwood? If so it is most likely the tannins that are making your water colored. Activated carbon should help the problem. Purigen will help too.

Do regular water changes and get a good liquid test kit. I do mine once a week. I have a strict regime: Friday, Saturday and Sunday I change water, on Wednesday, test water. (12 running tanks, gotta spread out the work load) Clean the gravel using but do not tear the tank down each time. Some people think you have to tear it down, rinse the gravel and set it back up. That's the worst thing you can do.

Do not use the "clear water" chemicals. They are worthless and do not treat the issue at hand, they are just a quick fix.

Feed less. Over feeding will cause poor water conditions. Cloudy water can be just the beginning.

Also, check your filter. What's the rating on it? Most companies lie about the capacity of the filter. I'm a firm believer in "there is no such thing as over-filtering". If your filter is rated for a 20g tank, I'm betting you actually need more filtration. An example. On our 40g tank, I run a fluval 305, this is rated for 70g. On our 29g I run an aquatech rated for 60g. On our 120 I run 2 fluval 405s rated for 100g each. See what I'm getting at?

How do you maintain said filter? Does it have cartridges, sponges, flosses? Do you rinse them with tap water? A big no no. Use tank water. The tap water will kill off the good bacteria.

Yes, they are real driftwood. I think I'll take one out then.

I think I'm more on the minimal side as to the quantity I feed the fish...Just a small pinch once a day, enough for them to clear within 2 minutes.

My filter is a Fluval 3 Plus. It has carbon, sponge, a pad to supposedly clear water (does nothing). I do pwc every 2 weeks (25-30%) and vaccuum half the gravel each time. Is it enough?

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ish.

Ahh ok. Then try boiling the driftwood. That will help strip the tannins.

I was under the impression the water was whitish. Ignore my previous :)

Oh good idea. I'll try that. Gotta get myself a dirty pot. Or do u think pouring boiled water on the driftwood (out of the aquarium :p) will help?

Pouring water on them will have close to the same effect. Not quite as good but will still work. If you dont want to disturb your tank, you could run a carbon insert (if you dont already) and do like dragon said strict water changes and it should clear up fairly quick.

If you do decide to run activated carbon just be sure to replace it after two weeks. It can actually start leaching back into the water column. You can stop using the carbon after the water clears up. In my case I ran it for about two weeks and the water was clear. I did boil mine for a while and soaked it for a few weeks.

I boiled my driftwood when I got it about a month ago. I boiled it for probably 2 hours. It still leaches like heck in my tank. That said, I run carbon and it's fine. It's getting better though. I can tell because I have the rest of the driftwood in a small clear Rubbermaid container soaking. The water has been getting less and less brown every time I change it. The first time I put it in though. That water was like coffee it was so dark.

Back
Top Bottom