I made it through a week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awakebyjava

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay! Nothing is dead! Yay! Got a complete testing kit and checked levels. Here are the results. (I started a moleskine fish book so i can keep track. Giong to add a section for the snake too!)

pH: 7.6
High Range pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 1.5-2.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Figure I should do a partial water change as it looks like my cycle hasn't really started yet. Is that right? How much should I change out?

Do you have fish in there? If so, you need to change enough water to get the ammonia level down to .50ppm or lower. If there are not fish in in the tank, then you do not need to do a water change, wait on the cycle to finish.

Also, I think the high range pH test is only if your pH is way higher than the reading on the regular pH test.

Okay! Nothing is dead!
Figure I should do a partial water change as it looks like my cycle hasn't really started yet. Is that right? How much should I change out?
I found your other post about the danios. They are a hardy fish, but you will need to do a PWC. I hate to say it, but 50% to cut down that ammonia level. You'll need to do it often. Continue feeding every other day during the cycle and while the tank is establishing (weeks).
From your I am not addicted, but I can't stop..."Helpful lady ... new long finned leopard danio, and after acclimating the temps it was freed into the tank. No fights! All three are happy and playful. So active! Made a huge difference...the store guy said it wouldn't make a difference, but he is now in my registered idiot book. Lady who helped me said that I was right, danios shouldn't be as aggressive as this one was."
With all animals, some will not fit perfectly in their species description. Your long finned leopard danio could have turned out to be just as destructive as the one you took back, or it could have been attacked by the others in the tank.
Continued luck with the tank and cycling!

Okay, now I am up to two weeks! Keeping the ammonia down to below 1.0 ppm as best I can with PWCs. But 14 days in I still am not testing any measurable levels of nitrites. Normal? Thanks!

It can take that long. You should be seeing nitrites soon. Just keep up the good work, it will be over before you know it.

There we go! 3 weeks in and I finally see nitrite! Whoopee!

If I see Nitrites in my tank I'm worried!

I've used the bottled Bacteria to shorten the cycling time in my tanks. I think the longest took three weeks.

Well, I just passed week four, and while it was too slight to tell i think i am starting to see nitrates. So, soon my cycle will be through! Whew, that was annoying.

You'll be glad when you test for Nitrates and see that nice Turquoise blue color. I know I was.

When you do, check for Nitrates. I feed my fish very heavily because it is so much fun. Nitrites are at zero but Nitrates are at 40 ppm.

I did a 50% water change yesterday and will cut back on the calories some. I will stay on my schedule and do a 25% change this weekend. Maybe another 50% change if the Nitrates aren't where I want them.

My fish like the water changes. They told me so...

Back
Top Bottom