I need help with my 55 Gallon tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahBear1009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I am new to this group and to fish-keeping, and I have some questions and concerns regarding my tank I have.

I have had this current tank up and running for about 3 weeks. It's a 55 gallon. The unfortunate part, is I am fresh new to fish-keeping and knew nothing about any aspect of it and relied on the advice I got from a LFS. Which come to find out with more research here and some other places that that wasn't the best idea.
So now I have a 55 gallon tank full of fish and in the middle of the nitrogen cycle. :eek:

Right now I am past the ammonia phase. That has been testing at 0ppm. (I did do one thing right it seems, and I bought the API Master Test Kit). My Nitrites are spiking, and I do have some elevated Nitrates (but my tap water has Nitrates in it as well, however my tank is registering with more Nitrates than my tap).

I have read that doing daily water changes are best to keep the nitrites under control, but how much water? I have read anywhere from 20% to 50%. I have Seachem Prime and have been using that the last few days my Nitrites have been spiking along with my daily water changes. (Right now I have only been doing about 30% water changes the past 2 days to keep the Nitrites low..) But I wasn't sure if that was good enough for a 55 gallon tank.

Also, would maybe adding Tetra Safe Start at this point do anything? I want as little harm done to my fishies as possible through this, so anything I can do to protect them, I want to do. I read that TSS can bring levels down low so that they are less harmful - but I wasn't sure how this would work mid-cycle.
Re-homing my fish too, isn't a possibility. I don't have a spare tank at the moment and do not know anyone who will take my fish temporarily (or even permanently). My LFS won't take fish either once it's past their return policy date. So I am stuck with my fish - which is why I wanna do the best by them. Obviously I shouldn't have got any to begin with, but being new I figured I was getting good advice from the LFS.

Right now I have:
5 male guppies
2 female mollies
One fathead Minnow
One Male Betta
6 Glow Light Tetras
4 Amano Shrimp
3 Peppered Cory Catfish.

I have learned so much just reading what I've been finding here and on the internet, I just wanna take the best course of action right now to help my fish through this.

Oh and I do know now (thanks to more research) that Cory's like to be in groups.. I was going to increase their numbers once my tank was cycled if I had enough room in my tank. Don't want to add more fish to this already trying process.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I very much appreciate it!

Welcome! You are not the first and certainly won't be the last in a predicament like this :)

Yes, daily water changes are the best thing you can do.

Think of it this way:

If you have a nitrite reading of 1.0ppm

You want to a 50% what does that leave us with?

50% of 1.0 = 0.50ppm. Simple math :)

Great job on getting the test kit! It will continue to be your best friend during this cycle!

You can try bacterial supplements but just know that they don't always work.

EDIT: watch that male betta closely. They are territorial and you may or may not see some aggression issues from him.

Caleb

Last edited:
@ImACoolguy
Thanks so much for the reply! I did a WC last night, and tested this morning and my Nitrites were between 0.25 and 0.5. That was better than the day before, but I don't know if that is Prime that is affecting it.
I understand concerns about my Betta. He's been in the tank since day one and actually has surprised me. No issues at all (doesn't mean none will surface later, but I always have my eye on him!)

Do you recommend any live plants at this point in addition to WC? Will that even help keeping some levels in check? I don't have special lighting, so it would need to be plants that don't require a ton of care and still live...

@ImACoolguy
Thanks so much for the reply! I did a WC last night, and tested this morning and my Nitrites were between 0.25 and 0.5. That was better than the day before, but I don't know if that is Prime that is affecting it.
I understand concerns about my Betta. He's been in the tank since day one and actually has surprised me. No issues at all (doesn't mean none will surface later, but I always have my eye on him!)

Do you recommend any live plants at this point in addition to WC? Will that even help keeping some levels in check? I don't have special lighting, so it would need to be plants that don't require a ton of care and still live...

In the case of ammonia, your test kit will register ALL ammonia, even in ammonium form that was converted through Prime. (I assume) same applies to the nitrite.

Anubias and Java Fern. Both pretty fool proof even with the most basic lighting.

I would aim to keep those nitrites under 0.50ppm as they are more toxic than Ammonia is.

Caleb

Well just wanted to give an update. My tank is finally cycled :) thanks for the advice and help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you ever get any plants? If you can tell us what the light bulb in your light says we could help more with that. I put plants on ever tank I have (20+) even if I just float them. In my opinion it's healthier for the fish and helps with keeping the tank healthy as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@Brennae-
I only have two plants right now.. well technically one. An Anubias, and a Marimo Ball. The lighting I have right now is just standard stock lighting. I got a Top Fin 55 gallon tank kit at Petsmart so the lights I have right now are whatever LED lights came with that kit. I want to upgrade my lighting eventually, just don't have the funds right now.
I not only love the look of live plants, but I like the benefits they provide as well - which is why eventually I'll get some lights.

One thing I've run into, is finding a hood that will fit my aquarium with the right fixtures for the size I need. Any suggestions? I am a noob with lighting so I am not even sure where to begin.

I'll be honest I have one nano tank with led lights. The rest are T8, T5 and T5 HO. So basically I know nothing except how to grow algae in that tank and I do it well. The anubias and marimo ball don't need a ton of light usually. Java fern is another you could add that is low light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom