Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tetras and angels usually do better in softer water with a lower ph. The wood will help some but the continued breakdown of the coral will overcome it. Maybe if you used 1/2 RO water at changes weekly, you can keep the water softer and ph lower without big swings. I usually try to get fish that will do well in my hard water. Its easier that way . You need to use some descretion with the inch per gallon. I don't think a 10 foot marlin would do well in my 125 gal tank.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:37 AM   #12
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
That is too many fish for a tank that size. Altogether I have 31 fish and 3 dwarf frogs in my 3 tanks.
You can have 9 tetras if you want. Although as already mentioned they may not like the alkaline water. You should go with more than 2 gouramis if you plan on keeping multiple gouramis (1 will usually overpower the other). 3 should be ok depending on their individual temperament.
This would be a good setup for you IMHO: 9 tetras, 3 gouramis, 3 swords (keep all same gender if you don't want babies), 1 small plec, 5-6 cories, 1 clown loach. You should either have cories or loaches IMO though since they will stay at the bottom and especially clown loaches when large would like the extra room without bumping into other fish, I would think.
Just my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
Betta personalities are all different. Some are calmer than others, and there's no way to tell, other than to observe them for awhile. I don't think it matters if the betta is small.
This is the same with gouramis and pretty much all labrynth fish or any fish for that matter. Although some of the species are supposed to be peaceful, there still are some that will be aggressive.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Thank you Rok and everybody else, I appreciate your advice. Now i have two gouramis and a tetra. (trying to make sure ich is gone using high temps). Any thoughts on what fish I should get first? Keep em coming people, i would like a lot of advice!

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How about a loach?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Loches are rather sensitive (they are a scaleless fish) so I think they should be one of the last to get.
You can get some of the hardier tetras like serpaes, gourami(s) or swordtails should be ok. One of the serpaes I have now is one of my first tropicals. It lived through a cycle and ich. There were 2 in the beginning and they were the best of friends but 1 was eaten by a clawed frog I used to have. They are tough little guys though.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow thanks guys and gals for the great advice. I really love Angels so I guess I will do without the neons, although i love the way a school of neons look so I would appreicate if anybody chimmed in with success in keeping a school of neons with angels. Also I think I like a school of corys better than a few plecos if i cant get both. I really want both though so I may just stick with 4 corys and 2 small plecos (I think the clown plecos are SOO cute.) Keep the advice coming and dont forget my three original ?'s!

1. Any compatibility problems? If so suggestions for replacements?
2. Ph problems? Will all the fish be able to deal, if not suggestions for replacements?
3. What order should I get them in and how many at a time?

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #17
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could get 5-6 cories and 2 clown plecos if you want. I do believe they like driftwood to rasp on so I think you may want to see if you could get a piece. The driftwood would lower the pH slowly, all those fish would rather have the lower pH anyway.
So right now you have the 2 gouramis and a tetra in the tank, is that it? Is the tank cycled?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the help Rok, Yes all I have currently are two dwarf gouramis (beautiful fish) and one (i know, i know they are a schooling fish) tetra. I am a week past recovering from ich and still have the temp at 85. The tank has been running for a month so it should be about cycled, yet I used an entire bottle of quick cure which may have stunted or eliminated my biofiltration. What do you think?

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #19
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you should get the water tested to make sure. There would be no nitrite or ammonia and have some nitrate if it's cycled. If you don't have a test kit bring a sample of the water to a fish store.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can definately have both cory's AND pleco's in the tank.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com