I would like some expert opinons on how to stock my 55 gal!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
55 Gallon Ex- Saltwater Tank that I am now using as a Freshwater Tank. Meticulously cleaned everything including sand and coral. I have a powre filter hanging off of the back and a skimmer on top that sucks water in, goes through one (green brillow pad type filter) drops down into bottom of tank and goes through gac another cannister filter, then gets pumped back up into tank. Also has a protein skimmer. Ph is around 7.8 but stable. No live plants but plenty of hiding spaces with 3 large fake plants and some coral.

Questions:
1. Any compatibility problems? If so suggestions for replacements?
2. Ph problems? Will all the fish be able to deal, if not suggestions for replacements?
3. What order should I get them in and how many at a time?

Here is my Ideal
9 Tetras (maybe more)
3 Serpae
3 ? Suggestions?
3 ? Suggestions?
4 Gouramis
5 Swordtails
2 Clown Loach
2 Pleco (small like clown or zucchini)
5 neon tetras
1 Betta
3 Angelfish
1 Red tail Shark
3 Corys
TOTAL: 35 fish!
MISC.
Crab
Shrimp
Eel?

Please feel free to pipe in! I respect all opinions!
Thanks all!

Wow that is a lot of fish. Are there any in there that stand out as some that you just wont be able to live without?

Geeze i dont know, maybe only 2 Gouramis and a few less tetras. Maybe i could live without the 5 neons. Do you think the neons would be allright wiht the other fish. Do you think this is too many because it is within the 1 inch of (thin) fish per gallon range. I would do extra water changes regularly as well. Any answers to my questions in the original post anybody?

Thanks JChillen, i appreciate your input! Do you think it is acceptable to keep neons and have the angels eat them as feeders? If they are the natural prey they shouldnt make the angels sick right? Anybody feel like answering the questions in my original post?

Definately too much. Gouramis are peaceful fish while a red tailed shark is an aggressive species. An adult red tailed shark will put most of your tetras and small fish (including gouramis) at risk so if you want lots of small fish, skip the shark. Likewise skip anything eel like. Or pick a shark or eel and lose all the small ones.

3 corys is too few, you should flush them out more if you want to include them. Also, you could just pick either cory's or plecos for bottom feeders instead of both. Cory's would go well with a focus on smaller fish, plecos (even clowns) better with a focus on larger fish.

Edited to add a bit more - 35 fish for 55 gal is a lot considering a good number of them get 5 or more inches big. Although you can just try to do more water changes, it's a pain and way too easy to start losing fish.

Your pH is a bit on the alkaline side. The swordtails will love it, the angels will not. Over all it's not extreme so they'd be fine if you really want them. Did you add in real coral? If so, it could be hardening your water and increasing pH.

As far as which to throw in first, that's a complicated question since it's based on both the hardiness and behavior of the fish. Get a final list of fish first, then ask that one.

Your ph will not be an issue as long as it's stable. The plecos and cory's shouldn't be added until after the tank has been established for a month at least. I just saw the betta. IMO, it isn't exactly a community fish. While I do know of people who have done this, it's really more of a crap shoot. The swordtails are more of a brackish environment fish. I have a platy (also a brackish type) in my tank (an error in stocking way back) but he has adapted to a salt-less environment and thinks he's a tetra. Also, since they are livebearer's, you have the distinct possibility of having little swordtails very quickly.

And no, I wouldn't keep the neons just to feed the angels. This leads to unnecessary aggression on the part of the angels.

Cory's are a good bottom feeder, but pleco's are great algae eaters. You really don't even need the Cory's. When you are keeping small fish, it seems like you have a TON of fish when you count how many you have, but in reality, they all stay pretty small so the "1 inch per gallon" guide wouldn't be broken.

I'm not sure why you are using a protein skimmer in the setup. They are for saltwater tanks, not freshwater.

Thanks all! Keep em coming. I probably will hold off on the red tail shark. ANy suggestions on a different shark like fish? Also the coral is beautiful and I dont really want to get rid of it. I may add a piece of driftwood to lower the ph (Is it true that a medium size (10 inches) will significantly lower the ph?)) Maybe i could do without the betta, i had one before (ich victim) and it would nip at the gouramis but infrequently as they could get away easily. Are female bettas less agressive? Would a small betta not be aggressive? 8O

I've never stocked a 55 gallon tank. I would be cautious about the crabs, though. They will probably catch any slow fish. IMO, crabs are best in a crab-only tank.

A male betta may or may not do well in a community tank. A betta probably won't get along with a gourami. Also, bettas and tetras won't get along. I've seen a group of tetras gang up on and nip a betta. Female bettas may do better in a community tank, but some female bettas can be just as aggressive as males. If you try the bettas, it's best to have another tank for him/them if necessary. A male betta and a group of females will probably not be a good idea either, in the community tank.

Betta personalities are all different. Some are calmer than others, and there's no way to tell, other than to observe them for awhile. I don't think it matters if the betta is small. A small betta could end up being very aggressive!

Tetras and angels usually do better in softer water with a lower ph. The wood will help some but the continued breakdown of the coral will overcome it. Maybe if you used 1/2 RO water at changes weekly, you can keep the water softer and ph lower without big swings. I usually try to get fish that will do well in my hard water. Its easier that way . You need to use some descretion with the inch per gallon. I don't think a 10 foot marlin would do well in my 125 gal tank.:D

That is too many fish for a tank that size. Altogether I have 31 fish and 3 dwarf frogs in my 3 tanks.
You can have 9 tetras if you want. Although as already mentioned they may not like the alkaline water. You should go with more than 2 gouramis if you plan on keeping multiple gouramis (1 will usually overpower the other). 3 should be ok depending on their individual temperament.
This would be a good setup for you IMHO: 9 tetras, 3 gouramis, 3 swords (keep all same gender if you don't want babies), 1 small plec, 5-6 cories, 1 clown loach. You should either have cories or loaches IMO though since they will stay at the bottom and especially clown loaches when large would like the extra room without bumping into other fish, I would think.
Just my suggestion.

An t-iasg said:
Betta personalities are all different. Some are calmer than others, and there's no way to tell, other than to observe them for awhile. I don't think it matters if the betta is small.
This is the same with gouramis and pretty much all labrynth fish or any fish for that matter. Although some of the species are supposed to be peaceful, there still are some that will be aggressive.

Thank you Rok and everybody else, I appreciate your advice. Now i have two gouramis and a tetra. (trying to make sure ich is gone using high temps). Any thoughts on what fish I should get first? Keep em coming people, i would like a lot of advice!

Loches are rather sensitive (they are a scaleless fish) so I think they should be one of the last to get.
You can get some of the hardier tetras like serpaes, gourami(s) or swordtails should be ok. One of the serpaes I have now is one of my first tropicals. It lived through a cycle and ich. There were 2 in the beginning and they were the best of friends but 1 was eaten by a clawed frog I used to have. :( They are tough little guys though.

Wow thanks guys and gals for the great advice. I really love Angels so I guess I will do without the neons, although i love the way a school of neons look so I would appreicate if anybody chimmed in with success in keeping a school of neons with angels. Also I think I like a school of corys better than a few plecos if i cant get both. I really want both though so I may just stick with 4 corys and 2 small plecos (I think the clown plecos are SOO cute.) Keep the advice coming and dont forget my three original ?'s!

1. Any compatibility problems? If so suggestions for replacements?
2. Ph problems? Will all the fish be able to deal, if not suggestions for replacements?
3. What order should I get them in and how many at a time?

You could get 5-6 cories and 2 clown plecos if you want. I do believe they like driftwood to rasp on so I think you may want to see if you could get a piece. :wink: The driftwood would lower the pH slowly, all those fish would rather have the lower pH anyway.
So right now you have the 2 gouramis and a tetra in the tank, is that it? Is the tank cycled?

Thanks for the help Rok, Yes all I have currently are two dwarf gouramis (beautiful fish) and one (i know, i know they are a schooling fish) tetra. I am a week past recovering from ich and still have the temp at 85. The tank has been running for a month so it should be about cycled, yet I used an entire bottle of quick cure which may have stunted or eliminated my biofiltration. What do you think?

I think you should get the water tested to make sure. There would be no nitrite or ammonia and have some nitrate if it's cycled. If you don't have a test kit bring a sample of the water to a fish store.

Back
Top Bottom