Ideal Beginner Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie443

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is almost cycled and I'm so confused about what fish are best to start with. Everytime I go to a fish shop they tell me different information. One told me you can mix any tropical fish together, and that most people only cycle their tanks for 4 days before getting fish! So i'm reluctant to take their advice. Eventually I want to have some cat fish :cat: and some fancy guppies and neon tetras (sons request), what fish should I start off with until the tank matures? I don't want the tetras to be eaten or any other fish to be bullied. I'm so confused!:mad: Can anyone offer advice?

Hey jackie443

one thing I learned is be careful when talking to staff maybe ask him some real difficult questions that you know the answer too just to check he know's what he is talking about. If he is right and becomes anti social because of the questioning at least you can mend it but showing you trust him afterwards. If he/she blows the questions off or says "I will find out" take what he says with a pinch of salt and check up on him. Too many times I have been sold something because I bought on impulse only to get home and read on the internet that its a horror fish or sucks on gouramis (Chinese loach). Take paper with you write names down, ask your questions make a note if you want then use the internet. Fish people in forums do it because they love fish people who work at pet shops do it because they need money. See the diff. Pick you range of fish and post it on the forum for advice you will be able to look after your fish and make sure they live happy and reduce problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: HN1
Thanks, the girl had never heard of fishless cycles? Maybe she was just a shop floor worker, I'll maybe ask she shop manager next time as it is a proper aquarium store with millions of fish and proper reef tank set ups etc. The fish look great but just cunfused as to which fish will live happily together. Thanks for your advice.

What size is your tank?
First pick your Favorite fish (does it fit the tank when grown) everybody has one mine is Gold Gourami they have a personality and greet me at the window if I sit near.If I touch the glass they lie on their side as if ready to be stroked.
Build from their around your pride and joy
Here is a list found on another forum I posted the thread at the end

Group 1
Neon Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, White Clouds, Fancy Guppies, Corydoras Catfish, Glass Fish, Honey Gouramis, and Ghost Shrimp. These fish are compatible and a few of them will do well in a 15-gallon aquarium with warm water. These fish are not compatible with most other species of fish. Click here for more about warm water aquariums.

Group 2
Danios, Swordtails, Mollies, and Platies, plus Bigger Tetras such as Black Skirt Tetras, Painted Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Red Eye Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, and Silver Tip Tetras. A few of these fish will do well in a 15-gallon aquarium with warm water. Each fish species in this group lives best in a group with several member of that species. Click here for more about warm water aquariums.

Group 3
Barbs, Gouramis, Sharks, Eels, and Loaches. Tiger Barbs and Tinfoil Barbs, plus Blue, Gold, and Opaline Gouramis, plus Bala Sharks, Red Tail Sharks, Rainbow Sharks, and White Tip Sharks. These fish are mildly aggressive and compatible with each other. They will grow fast and need at least a 29-gallon aquarium with warm water. Eventually they will need a much bigger aquarium. Click here for more about warm water aquariums.

Group 4
New World Cichlids. Firemouth, Convict, Pink Convict, Texas Cichlid, Jack Dempsey and other New World Cichlids are very aggressive fish. But many aquarists enjoy watching them dig, defend their territories, and care for baby fish. Large Plecostomus Catfish, Synodontis Catfish, and White Tip Sharks are usually compatible with New World Cichlids. Within a year or so a group of these fish will need an aquarium with at least 50-gallons of warm water. Eventually these fish will need an even bigger aquarium.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with some of those guppies (males only if you don't want to be overrun), you want and some corys. Add the neons after thefirst ones have adjusted. How big is the tank? None of those fish need a heated tank, including the neons. There are only a few corys that require water warmer than room temp.

I agree with Bill. I have kept neons, coreys and guppies together for over 15 years. Sounds like you can do well with what you already want. Just be sure your cycle is complete and only buy fish with good color, fins in tact and watch for white spots (Ich). If you see dead fish, or fish with frayed fins in tanks, avoid buying from that LFS.

Let us know how they are doing once you get them!

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. My tank is 180 Litres and I have been doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, the ammonia levels dropped to 0 this morning so i have added 1 teaspoon more and am waiting on my nitritres to come down. How long do you think this will take? Then I plan on buying maybe some zebra danios to start off. I really fancy a gourami especially if you say they have a nice wee personality! I'm so excited but I want to do things right as I'd be heart broken to kill any fish:(. I don't plan on keeping bigger fish yet just the smaller ones. How many do you reckon my tank will safety home? Appreciate the advice. ;)

What are is your nitrite reading? A week or a little more or less days will usually complete the cycle.

The rule of thumb for fish stocking is one inch of fish per gallon of water.

Hi,

The nitrates are at the top end of the scale 1.6/3.3. Below is my wish list, can anyone let me know if there may be any issues:

5 zebra danios
5 fancy guppies (males, i dont want to breed)
4 cats
2 pearl gouramis ( Females are least aggressive?)
5 Neon Tetras.

I have a 40 gallon tank. I plan to start with the danios and introduce the rest slowly. Any advice here?

Cheers

Jackie

Guppies are good fish to start with! Fancy or otherwise, I have a tank of 7 males (fancy and non-fancy) and they do great.
One advantage with guppies is that they don't seem to be phased by anything. The fish in my main tank tend to hide away in a corner if I'm doing water changes or work in the tank, whereas the guppies I have to stop them swimming into the jug I'm using!

I have two gold gourami's and 3 molly's and 3 guppy's and 1 neon tetra in my one tank and its a good combo and they all seem to get along fine. The guppy's and molly's keep the tank looking busy they nice to look at as they never hide. The gourami's hide depending on the personality of the fish and I like looking and getting the chance to see the gourami as they swoop up for air only the females do this the male goes up and blows bubbles while he is young until he builds a nest in the right tank conditions.

Another issue I seem to be having is keeping plants alive. As you know I have no fish yet but the plants I have planted so far seem to be disintigrating, I want my tank to be as natural as possible for the fish but why are the plants dying?

First thing to look at is the lighting. I don't keep them myself but I've heard figures of 12 hours per day to keep plants alive is required. Plus the lighting has to be bright enough too.

Secondly not having fish is a problem, no fish means no ammonia which means no nitrites which ultimately means no nitrates - which those of us who know our gardening nitrates are plant food/fertilizers.

I was advised on setting up my tank not to bother putting live plants in until my tank is fully cycled and I can see a good amount of nitrates in there. Plus having plants in there before your filter is fully cycled can add to your problems as dying plants break down to ammonia.

Mark the neon does fine and has grown to his full size and looks fit and healthy. I had 5 but lost the other four 2 months ago and will get him some friends again.

Ok, so my wish list is:

5 x zebra danios
5 x fancy guppies
4 x cats
2 x gouramis
5 a neons

Obvioulsy not all at once. Any comments? Suggestions/conmcerns?

Back
Top Bottom