Introduction of new fishes in a new tank ! HELP please !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to get your 0.02$ on this topic;

Im planning on setting up a brackish tank...

Im almost ready to start introducing my fishes. (still cycling)

I would like to know in what order should I start introducing my fishes.
I already know a lot about the fishes I want to put in my tank the only problem is that I don't have real life experience about the fishes personality. I want to put 3 species in my tank ; 1 figure 8 puffer fish, 2 bumblebee gobys and 5-6 Indian Glassfish.

I really want to mix thoses fishes together, I read a lot and gather a lot of info about what they need regarding food and water quality.

I was thinking of starting with the figure 8 so that he can establish his territory before anything (I want him to be the main attraction in my tank). However I started wondering if it would be more appropriate to introduce the glassfishes first since they are the more delicate of the 3 species so that THEY could get comfortable first and be less intimidated by the puffer later.

I don t know what to do...
Can you give me ideas ???

I'm no expert but I think it would be better to let the glass fish become comfortable in the tank first. They won't be as stressed by the puffer if they are in familiar surroundings. And since they are not territorial they won't mind giving the puffer some room when he is introduced.

I'd add the puffer last: he'll be the most dominant fish in the tank, so there shouldn't be any trouble with him establishing his territory.

Good luck with the new tank!

You always want to add the most aggressive/territorial fish last.
Now, about keeping puffers in a community tank. I have read on numerous occasions that it should not be done. They are fin nippers. The bb gobies are too. I didn't believe that until I saw most of my Celebes with missing tail fins :(
I have heard that people successfully keep puffers and bb gobies together.

Most of the time BW fish are sold FW. I would wait until all fish are in the tank and then begin converting the whole tank slowly to BW. This is not just to ease the stress of the fish, but more importantly, BW bacteria is different from FW and you need to allow the bacteria in the filter to change.

i would like to suggest fish monos,scats,and archers

but i would put the territorial fish in last so newcomers wouldnt accidently stumble onto the puffers territory and get eaten alive 8O

Back
Top Bottom