Is a 300g upgrade TOO big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for some opinions as to whether a 300g tank is too much of a tank? LOL

I currently have I believe 18 malawi cichlids in my 125g 6 foot tank and know they need an upgrade soon and found a good deal on CL on a 300g tank. :-D

I had been thinking 220g would do the trick but should I really go to 300g?

Seeking the freshwater guru's opinions and advice!

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input you all have to offer.

:-D

This actually made me laugh because in my head, I'm screaming "no tank could possibly be too big!" But, the reality is, that's a lot of water to change out and you have many other tanks. So, I would think it's really up to whether or not you are up to the responsibility and you have a proper space for that beast. Hopefully not on the fourth floor of an old apartment complex or your neighbors might not like you so much. Either way, I'm sure the fish would love to have that space. Like being in a small pond instead of a glass box at that point.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing "too big? Is that even a thing?" I would kill for a three hundred. But above poster has a point. That's thirty gallon water changes
:whistles:

I do at least 30g water changes now on the 125g! LOL I use the python and the sink is pretty close so it's not too bad. Just would have to add an extra 30 minutes I guess to the change time.

I live on a slab foundation single story house so it wouldn't be a support issue. I was going to put the bigger tank in the exact spot I have the 125g now.

Do it

18 malawi in a 125 not bad. I have a 180 malawi tank with 11 clown loachs,7 cats. I won't tell you how many Harps & peacocks I don't want to be yelled at. I have had a few 125's in tne past ,I just don't like the front to back. If you have the room & time get the 300. I do a lot of W/C .
Make the W/C easy. PS Im happy with a 180 I can reach the bottom.

I wish i could reach the bottom of the 125g easily LOL, I'll have no chance in a 180g or 300g so I kinda wrote that off. I have a step stool I use for getting into my SW tanks so I'll just use that. :)

The biggest fish or potential to be big fish that i have are 2 giraffes and 3 male red empress's. The rest are smaller fish like an obliquen, flamepoint a benga stuff like that. I know the giraffes would appreciate the extra growing room I know they can get huge so the upgrade is mostly for them.

I'm running an FX5 so filtration on either wouldnt be an issue. Just kinda worried if I'm starting to reach the silly end of tank sizes, I mean 300g of water is ALOT of water. lol I'm crazy into saltwater tanks but I've already decided 220g is the limit on that front. It just seems like freshwater would require less space than a reef tank. I don't know if that makes any sense, hehe. I even got a funny look when I mentioned 300g to my b/f, and he has NEVER given me that look when I suggest/buy/setup a new tank, even when I was up to 9 tanks.

I don't know, I'm waiting so long to decide someone is bound to buy the tank. :-(

Do you have a small child you can teach to scuba dive to help you clean it? ;)

Hmmm, decisions, decisions. If water changes aren't an issue, I would say go for it. Just be really careful transporting and setting it up if you decide to get it. :)

I also agree with the idea mentioned above by Hholly. If the 300g turns out to be too big, move the fish back to the 125g, and sell the 300g off again. ;)

The only way a tank can be "too big" is if it gives you no living space!

mfdrookie516 said:
I'm thinking the 300 would be a good reef...

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't waste a 300g on a freshwater tank. Make it a full blown reef if you're going to get it. You could get mostly any fish you would want.

You guys. lol A 300g reef would be too much for me. I'm good with the 180 I have in mind for that. I already have most of the fish i want now, not much difference in the fish selection at 200g and 300g, at least in my opinion.

The cichlids do deserve the upgrade too, they have been stuck in the 125g for quite awhile now. And they are only gonna get bigger......

carey said:
You guys. lol A 300g reef would be too much for me. I'm good with the 180 I have in mind for that. I already have most of the fish i want now, not much difference in the fish selection at 200g and 300g, at least in my opinion.

The cichlids do deserve the upgrade too, they have been stuck in the 125g for quite awhile now. And they are only gonna get bigger......

Lol a 220g or 180g sounds like a good cichlid tank and the 300g tank sounds like a better reef.

I don't like reef tanks at all but for a cichlid tank I say go for it my uncle has a freshwater planted 300 and I could sit there for days watching it I would love to have one

slitherbomb said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Don't waste a 300g on a freshwater tank. Make it a full blown reef if you're going to get it. You could get mostly any fish you would want.

How is a 300G a waste for freshwater?
I'm hoping you just forgot "IMO"

I read this entire post and agreed with most of it then did the conversion to litres so I could understand better it's nearly 1200 lt that would be awesome you could swim with your fish

Back
Top Bottom