Is it too late to become a good fish parent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixedGlitter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone!

Fish newbie here and I come here in peace, curiosity, education, and currently help for my dilemma. It seems the local pet store can count me as another victim. Currently I have a 5gal (I know, I know :banghead:) with a male black balloon molly, and a female silver molly. I've had them AND the tank about two weeks now. Of course the salesperson said five g's was more then enough for two mollies. Once more research was done, I learned that the bare minimum for them was actually 10gal. So, I know the tank is new, but I know they won't be happy on 5gals for long. I want to put them into a 10g, and just them. I have no other aquarium critters in there now and don't plan on adding anytime soon. So, how soon is too soon to move them to a bigger tank? I'm not in a hurry, I just want them to be in a better space. Thanks for your help!

It's a tough world out there M-G. I used to be a good fish parent...years ago...but I think I just got lucky. I have tried to replicate my previous success with other fish varieties and failed miserably.

Tbh, mollys are quite large fish. I usually recommend a 30g tank minimum for them.

However, by asking these questions youve already proven youre a good fish parent :)

My suggestion, is to keep an eye on craigs list for stuff. People sell there at a huge discount. I managed to get a 90g tank with a stand and full setup of equipment for $200. Bargains are out there.

As to the fish size, id say they would need to be moved up once they hit 2 inches or so.

Back
Top Bottom