is my fishless cycle done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson_004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my nitrites are falling pretty quickly, about 3 days ago they read 5 ppm now there at 0.5 ppm. i think by then end of the week i will be to finally add fish:).but i tested my ammonia today and it is at 3ppm. i did it the cycle right i think..when i saw nitrites i baked off the ammonia to only 2.5 ppm but when i was going on vacation for 3 days i dumped about twice as much cuz i wasnt going to be home to dose the tank with the ammonia. once my nitrites are at 0 and i do my water change will the ammonia come down and stay down also?what should i do? thanks for any replies!!!

I would just keep testing.. once your NO2 is down to 0 you can test for NO3.. you will most likely have to wait and see if the NH3 comes down to 0 by then.. HTH

Your tank is cycled when the ammonia and nitrite read zero after a 24 hour period. So dose (2.5ppm is fine) and 24 hours later check to see you have zero ammonia and nitrite. Of not then there may be a spike you have to deal with, probably from the extra ammonia you added. No big deal. And make sure to do a nice large volumn water change prior to adding any fish and make sure that you tank gets food every 24 hours. So if you aren't adding any fish for a few days keep adding ammonia until you are ready for the fish.

Bacteria will start to die within a day of not having food and an hour or 2 of not having oxygen. When you went on vacation you probably lost at least the majority of ammonia to nitrite converters. You will have to just keep dosing and wait. Remember to do a water change right before you add fish to get the nitrates down. If you ever have to leave a tank without fish or being able to dose ammonia just dump in some fish food or raw frozen shrimp from the store. It will break down and feed the bacteria but it isn't as controllable as adding liquid and will start to smell pretty bad after awhile.

but they have to of had food , i havent added ammonia since i got bak and its still at 3ppm, is it possible i added to much ammonia when i doublw doesed it and killed some bacteria?

That is possible that you have killed off some bacteria, and that is why you are showing an ammonia reading. It should bounce back pretty quickly, though. You might have another week or 10 days to get finished.

Keep doing what you are doig and it will settle out shortly.

Back
Top Bottom