Is this fish too aggressive for tank buddies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kera777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-3959806519.jpg

I saw this fish the other day and thought he was beautiful, he's an electric blue african cichlid. If I got this fish would I be able to put any other fish with him, or would he be too aggressive?

I havent bought it yet, i wanted to make sure it could get along with other fish first, if it cant then I might just get different fish that can be in the same tank together.

Looks like some sort or Peacock or Mbuna from Lake Malawi, but am not sure as I'm not a cichlid expert.

Not really a good choice for the average community but for an African Rift Lake community it would do fine in a big tank with other ARL cichlids.

I dont know yet, i have 4 tanks, just got a 37 gal, i havent gotten any decorations or fish for it yet but i did put water in it and have been treating it, i want some fish that swim at most levels of the tank, but i havent really figured out what i want to put in it yet

Kera777 said:
I dont know yet, i have 4 tanks, just got a 37 gal, i havent gotten any decorations or fish for it yet but i did put water in it and have been treating it, i want some fish that swim at most levels of the tank, but i havent really figured out what i want to put in it yet

I'm pretty sure u would need a larger tank for that guy ;) how bout an angel fish... Some cories and a school of tetras :D

Or bolivian rams are very pretty :)

The description under the tank he was in said he would need to be in at 29 gal

But angels are what I was thinking about getting, but i haven been able to find any where their fins havent been torn and bitten off.. :/
How big to angel fish get?

Kera777 said:

But angels are what I was thinking about getting, but i haven been able to find any where their fins havent been torn and bitten off.. :/
How big to angel fish get?

Six inches, but they are taller than they are big.

That description is not very accurate, maybe for a temporary home as a breeding tank but in the long run definitely not IMO.

Fins will grow back with clean water as long as they aren't nipped down to their body....

Kera777 said:

That is a Sciaenochromis ahli aka an electric blue hap, this fish can grow up to 8" and should not be kept in anything smaller than a 6' tank IMO. They Can be kept with other Haplochromis with the same temperament but do not keep with species of Pseudotropheus and other mbunas. Also they shouldn't be kept with Peacocks because they will kill the male and hybridize with the females.

Back
Top Bottom