Is this stuff PFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. I was out looking for PFS today, and no place seemed to have it. I thought PFS was just silica sand, but one place told me no, it was different. I found some stuff I thought might work, can you guys look at these pics and let me know if it would work, or if it is a compacting sand. It has a consistancy similar to table salt.

img_1306118_0_8e3862b5e3495e59455e5bce362a579a.jpg

img_1306118_1_587be7e031be2c047fa3a71b3fdf61a5.jpg

img_1306118_2_2887de8e91a3ec0a7a6341d493e31357.jpg

I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef. It is silica based but has a polymer so it won't cause brown algae problems. It also comes in multiple colors. No need to use non-aquarium sands in an aquarium when there are safer options.

Hi guys. I was out looking for PFS today, and no place seemed to have it. I thought PFS was just silica sand, but one place told me no, it was different. I found some stuff I thought might work, can you guys look at these pics and let me know if it would work, or if it is a compacting sand. It has a consistancy similar to table salt.

IMO that's not PFS, as it's a larger grain sand that is designed not to compact, as opposed to play ground sand that I've heard compacts a lot. I use PFS in my tanks and it works really well, not to mention it's only $10 for 50lbs. Look for a pool supply shop like Leslie's (national chain) or something similar.

Some have gone to landscape supply shops for sand, but I'd be concerned about how clean it would be as opposed to PFS. other than a quick rinse in a pillowcase under the shower head to rinse fine dust out, it's ready to go.

Okay, thanks guys....our pool supply shop is closed today, so I was hoping to find something at a hardware store, but I will just wait and pick some up later on in the week. mdfrookie516, the bag was painted white, but the sand was really really fine. There was a busted bag....I tried to get a pic of it, but the old BlackBerry just made it look like a light colored blob! Hmmm, yet another reason I need an iPhone!

I got my PFS at home depot, for 5$ for a 50lbs bag and I love it! Works great, no bacteria growth, and the fish love it.

Hey guys, I FINALLY found real PFS!!The pool supply place was open today, and I got 2 50 lb bags for $8 each. Now that I have everything I need, I need to figure out how to make it all into an aquarium! Been doing so much saving money, chasing around in search of stuff, and shopping that now I don't' know where to begin!

Fishy123 said:
Hey guys, I FINALLY found real PFS!!The pool supply place was open today, and I got 2 50 lb bags for $8 each. Now that I have everything I need, I need to figure out how to make it all into an aquarium! Been doing so much saving money, chasing around in search of stuff, and shopping that now I don't' know where to begin!

I started out by rinsing the PFS in a pillow case to wash out the fine dust so I didn't get a dust up.

Is the tank already set up with fish? Are you just putting PFS in, or is there going to be a sub-base? If you have fish, makes plans to relocate them for a few hours till you get the sand in and let it settle a bit. The trick to sand when adding water is, put a plate down to stream the water on so it doesn't make a mess and you limit any dust up that might occur.

Mr. Limpet, no fish here yet. I am a total newbie and finally have purchased all I need to get started. So I guess I need to put the background on my tank, pour in some sand, fill it with water, get my heater and filter set up and working then let it settle down a day or so. Then I can start adding ammonia :)

Fishy123 said:
Mr. Limpet, no fish here yet. I am a total newbie and finally have purchased all I need to get started. So I guess I need to put the background on my tank, pour in some sand, fill it with water, get my heater and filter set up and working then let it settle down a day or so. Then I can start adding ammonia :)

That makes life much easier doesn't it lol. I just started cycling for brackish (FW to brackish over a month of cycling) and put in a PFS base. I really like it and have 2 more tanks to add it to (1 new, 1 convert). If you haven't done ammo before go easy, I added 2 tsps to 30g and it shot up to 8ppm in a couple hours :p. Had to do a quick 50% PWC to get it to 4ppm.

Sounds like you have you steps down, have fun :D.

Back
Top Bottom