I've been cycling my 8 gallon tank for 35 days. How are my numbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrono1081

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I've been cycling two tanks for 35 days. The living room tank is an 8 gallon and the bathroom tank is a 1 gallon quarantine tank.

Do my numbers look OK? Is there anything I should do? (Water change (I've never done one), etc). I've been following along with the fishless cycle FAQ but since my numbers don't seem to follow what it suggests I figured I'd ask here.

ixedl5.png

For the larger tank, you're starting to see nitrite and nitrate so that's good'; I'd like to see ammonia dropping faster though. Since you havent' done any water changes yet it might be a good idea to do a 100% water change (with dechlorinator) to restore the buffers and minerals in the water. Since the tank is fairly small you could only dose the ammonia to 2 instead of 4; that might help things move a bit faster.

The QT tank looks good, ammonia seems like it's starting to drop faster, nitrites are high, not sure where the nitrates went lol I'd do a large water change on this one too; after the water change, wait 30 minutes then test nitrIte. If it's still unreadable on the chart (5+) keep doing water changes and testing until you can get nitrites down to something you can read; they've been high for quite a while now and it could be stalling things. Then dose ammonia to 1-2 (for such a small tank dosing to 4 is overkill).

Back
Top Bottom