Jill's 55g build on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will definitely keep you guys posted on my co2 journey. :)

Just tested my ph with the high range solution, and it is off the charts. Bye, bye rocks. :( On a brighter note, I found a guy about 30 minutes from here who sells driftwood so I'll be going to his shop on Thursday to hopefully pick out a big piece for the tank to replace the rocks. :)

My husband is busy revamping my hood with fans (well....one fan for now...that's all we have on hand) and cfl spirals. I'll keep you guys posted on that.

janky said:
Wow!! Ok... very interested in how the CO2 setup works.
I've just been doing the soda bottle setup with an air stone :lol:
I'd love to set up a REAL co2 system, but the $$ scared me off from it. Curious to see how this pans out for you... keep us posted!

Can you explain the soda bottle setup and airstone method? (not trying to steal Jill's thread, PM me if you want!)

Jill said:
I will definitely keep you guys posted on my co2 journey. :)

Just tested my ph with the high range solution, and it is off the charts. Bye, bye rocks. :( On a brighter note, I found a guy about 30 minutes from here who sells driftwood so I'll be going to his shop on Thursday to hopefully pick out a big piece for the tank to replace the rocks. :)

My husband is busy revamping my hood with fans (well....one fan for now...that's all we have on hand) and cfl spirals. I'll keep you guys posted on that.

Aww! Sorry you have to nix the rocks! I wonder if that's the reason my ph is around 8-8.2....

I can't wait to see the driftwood! I love DW...

Aww! Sorry you have to nix the rocks! I wonder if that's the reason my ph is around 8-8.2....

I can't wait to see the driftwood! I love DW...

Have you tested your tap water? If your ph is lower from your tap, it's probably the rocks. I can't seem to find any inert rocks in TN. :?

Jill said:
Have you tested your tap water? If your ph is lower from your tap, it's probably the rocks. I can't seem to find any inert rocks in TN. :?

I will test it right now! Thanks!! :)

Ps- Tennessee is my favorite state. I have family in Lebanon.

I will test it right now! Thanks!! :)

Ps- Tennessee is my favorite state. I have family in Lebanon.

I think you have to let it sit for like 24 hours to get an accurate reading....I'm not sure why that is. :confused:

Lebanon is only like 30 miles from here....cool! :)

Well gee.. thanks for telling me after I tested... LOL! I'll set some out and test tomorrow. So far I got high range of 7.4 and low range 7.2-7.6. Tank is still 8.2.

I love my husband. Just need to get the co2 going, and we'll be growing us some plants!! WOOHOO! :)

img_1881302_0_3aff1e31602e81ba68bdb957750a0007.jpg

And check out the little fans he installed. :)

img_1881302_1_047d6f9d7fa284af4c95c966478384d6.jpg

Wow! I wish i knew the vinegar trick a couple of hours ago. The 20g i just picked up (w/the guppies), was a MESS!! I just kept scrubbing and scrubbing!

How much sand did you use in your tank? I am getting some pool filter sand tomorrow. I think my rocks are killing my fish. I just got done removing all the rocks. Ugh.

How much sand did you use in your tank? I am getting some pool filter sand tomorrow. I think my rocks are killing my fish. I just got done removing all the rocks. Ugh.

I've had terrible luck with rocks too. :(

I bought 2 50 lb bags of blasting sand and used about 75 pounds. I think I probably could have gotten by with 50, but I knew I wanted to plant so I used a little extra. :)

Jill said:
I've had terrible luck with rocks too. :(

I bought 2 50 lb bags of blasting sand and used about 75 pounds. I think I probably could have gotten by with 50, but I knew I wanted to plant so I used a little extra. :)

Ok. I was thinking 50 might do it but I also have plants so I will just go ahead and get 2. Thank you!

I used 1 50 lb bag but I bought two. Good thing they were cheap!

How's your tank coming along??

Coming along SLOWLY...lol.

I got some beautiful driftwood for my birthday. It had been used in an aquarium so I didn't soak it, and now my water is nasty. :nono: At least the driftwood is cool! :lol:

Jill said:
Coming along SLOWLY...lol.

I got some beautiful driftwood for my birthday. It had been used in an aquarium so I didn't soak it, and now my water is nasty. :nono: At least the driftwood is cool! :lol:

That's cool! Sorry about the nasty water though! How big is the driftwood? I really need to find a big piece around here...

So you've got sand, plants, driftwood. What's next?

That's cool! Sorry about the nasty water though! How big is the driftwood? I really need to find a big piece around here...

So you've got sand, plants, driftwood. What's next?

We're going to work on building the co2 reactor today. I am so broke that the tank will probably sit as is for a while after that....lol.

Where is your build thread again? I want to see how your sand turned out! :D

I'll just post a picture here. It's easier than finding links.

I am going to get some plants to replace the ugly plastic ones.

I'll just post a picture here. It's easier than finding links.

I am going to get some plants to replace the ugly plastic ones.

It looks awesome!!! I envy your clear water. :nono:

I'm going to do a major water change and try to clear mine up, and then I'll post a pic of the driftwood. It's massive.

Back
Top Bottom