Just recieved a new tank, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaitie09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was recently given a 20 gallon Marineland® BioWheel® LED Aquarium Kit as a birthday present. I've have fish for some time, mainly bettas. Currently I have a Marina 5 gallon tank with a male betta, an apple snail, a zebra snail, and 5 ramshorn snails.I also have 2 anubis plants in there. I've just started with live plants a couple months ago, so I'm thinking I'll stick with low light, hardy plants for the new tank.

I would love to create an aquarium that looks natural. In the past I had wanted driftwood, but my tanks have been to small. I'm thinking java ferns and anubuas plants mostly. What I'm trying to figure out is what to put in with my betta. I've had platys before and did not like that they were a live bearing species. I'm thinking a school of tetras. My betta is fairly docile, mostly spending his days hiding out around the plants or in his betta log. I've done the reflection test and he actually runs away from it more often than not. He also accepted the snails right away, only checking them out once and then being done with them. My idea would be to set up the tank and filter it for a few days, then add the new fish, and then add the betta, so the others have already established themselves.

So my questions are:

Do you think tetras would be a good in the tank?

Are there any other hardy, lowlight live plants you can think of that would do well?

Should I use gravel, sand, or a soil mixture?

What would I feed my fish if I have two difference species in there?

ETA: I live on well water.

Hi and welcome!

Most tetras should be fine in a 20 gal. Whether they'll be OK with the betta is something you won't know until you try it.

As for plants, you mentioned the two most common: java fern and anubias. Swords might do well (supplement with root tabs though), maybe some crypts (root tabs too).

As for substrate, it's up to you. If you want bottom dwellers like corys, they would prefer sand.

As for feeding, it will depend on what kind of fish you end up with but most fish eat the same things. In my community tank, all of them eat the pellets (even the corys, who eat the pellets that fall to the bottom) and the food I give to the corys (shrimp pellets, algae/veggie wafers) the other fish will go after too. I have a betta in it's own tank so I don't have him in a community, but I would imagine it's similar; feed the betta it's pellets or whatever you feed it normally just to be sure it gets some food and then feed the other fish.

Thanks for the reply! Looking into it a little more, I'm leaning towards a school of 6-7 glowlight tetras. They seem to be more peaceful than some of the others, and they are still interesting without being too flashy.

I got glowlight tetras several weeks ago. They were skittish about eating for the first week but now they are little oinkers and doing great. I just love them! I vote for the glowlights!

I had to take my glowlights back, because after a month. they decided they would be boss of the tank and took to nipping my betta's fins. The betta, will be going in his own 5 gallon soon. He was also fine, until 1 month ago started nipping eyes out. not cool. make sure to have a back up plan!

Back
Top Bottom