Just started my 55 gallon tank..now what? Advice..thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I had a 55 gallon fish tank before but I did fish cycling(I didn't know any better at the time, and was so silly to listen to the guy at the store say it would be fine as he sold me 25 fish!) Okay so this time I'm doing a fish-less cycle, of course. I bought a brand new tank, everything in it is new filter etc.. So what's the best way to cycle fishless? Because of course the only way I've ever cycled was fish in! I can get some plants from my sister to help with bacteria and I'm using seachim stability for bacteria because I used it before and it worked great. Should I be doing PWC or no and how often if I do.. I know some people say not to at all with fishless cycling. I'm starting a cichlid tank. I'm going to go with african cichlids..does anyone have any cool suggestions on those either? Any advice at all will help. Thanks guys!:fish2::)

If your doing a fishless cycle,what are you using as your ammonia source? The Seachem product does not contain ammonia. You will need an ammonia source in order to do a fishless cycle to feed & grow your bacteria. Do you have an API test kit?

I have to get ammonia but for now I put some fish food in the tank for ammonia. I have an API test kit. The bottle of seachim bacteria says I can add fish immediately. Anybody know anything about that? I did it on my last fish tank and it was okay

The problem with most bacteria products is they don't work. This includes the one you have. They either contain the wrong bacteria altogether or the bacteria is dead from lack of food, air or temperature fluctuations.
I would recommend getting ammonia. Fish food doesn't put out enough ammonia. Is you can't get bottle ammonia I'd try a dead prawn in pantyhose over fish food.

Last edited:
Its difficult to cycle a tank using fish food but not impossible. You will need a whopping amount of fish food to see spikes in ammonia levels & this ultimately creates a huge mess. Using ammonia allows you to accurately dose with zero mess. Not possible to 'dose' ammonia with fish food-its more of throwing it in & hoping for the best. :)

I used this bacteria stuff before and it worked on my other 55 gallon aquarium. Okay well I already put one dose in it. So should I just not do that at all and just add ammonia to my tank or what that mess it up since I've already started using the seachim stability bacteria growth stuff?

Helloelliee said:
I used this bacteria stuff before and it worked on my other 55 gallon aquarium. Okay well I already put one dose in it. So should I just not do that at all and just add ammonia to my tank or what that mess it up since I've already started using the seachim stability bacteria growth stuff?

Just discontinue using it and add the pure ammonia and continue your cycle from there.

4-6 wks is average but it could take a bit longer. Look into purchasing an 'active' filter from Angelfish - these are live, seeded filters that will greatly help your cycle. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom