Just starting out, New tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tertatorres

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, lets just start off with a little background. Names Steven!.
From downey ca. I bought a 30 gallon bowman tank with a stand, which also came with a coral light a couple of years ago. I used it for a crested gecko for awhile. He later was moved to a friends house because i just couldn't keep up with it. Now! that im growing up and looking at things just that "much" different, i feel like i could handle a tank. It really started when i walked into petco about 3 months ago. I looked into a few of the tanks and i was FASCINATED!! with how clear the water was and how calm the fish were. I guess i never really looked into a tank longer than a few minutes. I thought, well i could do that! SO! i sat out for knowledge! I asked the guy that worked there and basically he said buy this buy this buy this, wait a day and put fish in..(i knew this wasnt right) I knew my best bet was to look online and search from forums.
SO than xmas came around. My girlfriend ended up getting me this really nice sucken ship for the tank. Her getting me that really drove me to the hobby. I started looking online for filters and heaters and what i need and dont need. I did alot of my first research, on amazon(products had customer reviews which had a little insight to the tank itself, but not the fish) I knew some experts will be reading this and know BLAM should have looked in forums first!!! Well we all start somewhere:DD,
I bought a aquaclear 50 and a aquatop 200 watt on amazon for just $40!! i knew that was a deal so i just ordered it. i had about a week to learn as MUCH as i could before it came. Im 19 so getting packages excites me and so i knew when i got the filter i would just start the tank:D,
I grew up a little bit!! i swear!
I researched as much as i could on everything, the fish, the plants, substrates, fish food, ph, temps,...Im very NOOB so my lingo isnt up to pair.
BASICALLY, i could tell you my life story but really i just wanted you to know where im coming from. A full NOOB!! With that said, im very sponge like and i love learning new things. So this is why im starting this thread,
Im in aw of this forum and the community that it has. I know without a doubt that if i have a problem. ONE OF YOU FELLOW FRIENDS will have some kind of answer:DD

Now, i guess i thought i was going to be able to do it all myself and learn first hand with trial and error. So jan 12, i started up the tank. Rinsed the gravel/ sand/ ship. cleaned the tank up. Put everything down, placed it all nice and neat. Put the water in, treated the water with stress coat. Than i let it run over night. The next day, i went to a shop i heard about from an employee at petsmart. Tongs tropical fish! First off, when i walked in i felt like i walked into my own little biosphere HEAVEN!. EVERYTHING i wanted and saw online was there. The owner knew i was new at this. So he asked a few questions. Asked about the tank, and he said FIRST BUY tetra start up and you can put fish in right after. He knew the tank was running for 24 prior. so i trusted him. i mean come on, he owns a pretty nice shop so i thought hed know a thing or too.
Well he said just get 6 of the community fish and i will be fine.
i listened...
DONT BE MAD!, i just listened. I know now after looking on this forum that i have to cycle...this whole cycling thing just never came up on ANYTHING ive read or the people ive talked to.
So! now this thread turns into not only my own adventure in this new really rewarding hobby but also i need help with the way my tank is going to progress. I know i started it to soon, and its going to be a slow process but i think with some help i just might be able to understand and learn much more if i show you a play by play
So more info on the tank itself. Ill post a few pictures at the end.
This is what i have,
3-Neon Terta
1-Bala shark
1-guppy
1-dalamation mollie
1-peppered cory cat
1-lyretail ballon molly
1-chinese algae eater

When i got the fish, i put in the tetrastartup solution waited about 30 mins, kept the fish in the tank(inside baggie:D)
my temp was just at 78. I had put a little bit of stresscoat in the bags because i heard that it helps with the whole shipping process, i know STRESS isnt going to help ANYTHING!! haha:D
since i dont have a bunch of money, the guy told me to get the stuff i need and get the rest later. So i grabbed some flakes and a net. I know theres a bunch of other stuff i need, but i tend to rush myself, which through this process on its own im learning to just relax, because it will eventually work out.
SO! i went back to the bags, i released them one by one.
To be honest, they seem really relaxed. Its so crazy seeing each fish with its own personality and its own traits and habits..Not one fish was afraid of any other fish. It seems like they are all just getting along...the only problem is that i know that since i didnt cycle properly, there are going to be issues that are going to come up.
first, the water got a little cloudy,i would say about a 5% difference over night. Im thinking thats because now theres waste and i had fed the fish which me being a noob i wasnt to sure on how much. So i feel like i have already made some mistakes. Im eventually going to get plants and whatnot. i just want to know for sure that these fish are going to make it. Now looking and learning what i did today(mostly just by the noob forum thats on this site) that ive still got alot of learning to do. Not only about the fish but as this whole ECOSYSTEM will develop. So join in. Take a look and ill try to respond asap and follow up with anything information you need.
Please, i understand i made a HUGE mistake and now my fish has to pay the price. This is why im starting the forum...for help...I really am interested in this hobby...the whole idea of having a ecosystem in my room is just mind blowing. Now that i see that these fish arent just fish..they are just little minds in a tank with needs and wants..just like me.. See help us both out:D
I look forward to talking to you guys.Thank you for reading this(i dont ever write in forums, ever....haha) So thanks for your time and like i said im a sponge..

-(little noob)steven

pictures include-
tetras
bala
and front of tank:D
All the others were hiding..

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.30 #3.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.30 #3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.30.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.30.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.30 #5.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.30 #5.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.29 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-01-14 at 20.29 #2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 163
Welcome! Don't worry... Making mistakes is how we learn! Most of us started out with some sort of horrifically overstocked tank, etc.

Ask away :)

Welcome to AA, Steven!!!!! I wont be of much help on your stocking (i am sure someone will advise!) but lets start with the most important thing you are going to need to keep your fish healthy & thriving- an API freshwater master test kit! Do you have one yet? As you are now beginning a 'fish-in cycle', daily water testing of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, & ph will be crucial along with daily (or even twice daily) water changes. Water changes are now going to be your best friend until your tank is fully cycled! Do you have a python/similar water changer? If not, you may want to invest in one asap because it will save you from lugging buckets water around the house. Last, but not least, you may want to consider a water conditioner that not only dechlorinates water but helps to detox ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Prime is probably the readers choice on this forum but there are a few others as well. Lets start here & im SURE others will help out as well!!!!! :)

+1 on what jlk said. I cannot stress enough on how much easier a python/similar water changer makes life with an aquarium.

Welcome to the family! And yes you will fall in love with the python or Aqueon water changer. Makes it a breeze!!

Your in the same boat I am. Get the fish tank going, then learn everything, and hope for the fewest casualties.

Your going to be busy for the next month. Do 40-50% water changes daily. This will keep the ammonia and other toxins at bay while your tank cycles. Next, get an API Master test kit so you can keep an eye on your parameters.

You've come to the right place for help. Don't be afraid to ask anything, and no question is too dumb, and people here aren't upset at answering the same question over and over

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately no one at the pet shops told you the most important thing you need is a good liquid test kit. The API Master kit is best; you really need one ASAP.

Also for a new uncycled tank you are severely overstocked I'm afraid and some of the fish choices are poor ones for your tank:

-- The algae eater is going to become aggressive and grow too large for your tank
--Neon Tetras need a group of at least 5
--The Shark is definitely not suited for a 30 gal tank; it's going to become very aggressive and will eat most of your fish plus it can grow up to 12 inches
--Corys do better in groups of at least 4

Honestly you need to return the Shark and Chinease Algae Eater ASAP. As I mentioned they are not suited for your tank and are going to contribute to ammonia buildup very quickly and you aren't going to be able to keep on top of water changes to keep the fish safe. I'd also suggest returning the Mollys as they have a large bioload and will contribute to the ammonia as well. Keeping the Tetra, Cory and Guppy should be suitable if you want to do a fish-in cycle. Later when the tank is fully cycled you can increase the Tetra and Cory numbers and then add more suitable fish for your tank. Also the filter you have now isn't at all sufficient to keep up with the amount of stock in that tank anyway. A good rule is at least double the filtration for the size tank, so for a 30 gal tank you want a filter rated for at least 60 gals.

There is a link below in my signature: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium. The first info on that guide is in regards to cycling. Read the info on fish-in cycling as it will guide you through the process. Do at least a 50% water change daily until you can get a test kit and return the CAE and Shark. Also Prime is a good dechlorinator to use as it's more concentrated than other brands so it'll last longer and it helps to detoxify ammonia and nitrite between water changes (not to be used in place of water changes).

Good luck and keep asking questions if you need help! :D

Last edited:
librarygirl said:
Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately no one at the pet shops told you the most important thing you need is a good liquid test kit. The API Master kit is best; you really need one ASAP.

Also for a new uncycled tank you are severely overstocked I'm afraid and some of the fish choices are poor ones for your tank:

-- The algae eater is going to become aggressive and grow too large for your tank
--Neon Tetras need a group of at least 5
--The Shark is definitely not suited for a 30 gal tank; it's going to become very aggressive and will eat most of your fish plus it can grow up to 12 inches
--Corys do better in groups of at least 4

Honestly you need to return the Shark and Chinease Algae Eater ASAP. As I mentioned they are not suited for your tank and are going to contribute to ammonia buildup very quickly and you aren't going to be able to keep on top of water changes to keep the fish safe. I'd also suggest returning the Mollys as they have a large bioload and will contribute to the ammonia as well. Keeping the Tetra, Cory and Guppy should be suitable if you want to do a fish-in cycle. Later when the tank is fully cycled you can increase the Tetra and Cory numbers and then add more suitable fish for your tank. Also the filter you have now isn't at all sufficient to keep up with the amount of stock in that tank anyway. A good rule is at least double the filtration for the size tank, so for a 30 gal tank you want a filter rated for at least 60 gals.

There is a link below in my signature: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium. The first info on that guide is in regards to cycling. Read the info on fish-in cycling as it will guide you through the process. Do at least a 50% water change daily until you can get a test kit and return the CAE and Shark. Also Prime is a good dechlorinator to use as it's more concentrated than other brands so it'll last longer and it helps to detoxify ammonia and nitrite between water changes (not to be used in place of water changes).

Good luck and keep asking questions if you need help! :D

+1^ Listen to this person, she has a wealth of knowledge.

So i started to read a few posts before i fell asleep last night.
Thanks for the immediate response!!
So this is the dilemma that i am in at the moment..
Im not getting paid till this friday, im only getting just under 80 bucks. Thats nothing for me right now. So i have gas and other things to worry about too.
This doesnt help my situation because yes i want a python,(good thing is i put the tank right next to my window so i can easily do my changes there) i will also start to save for a better filter.(fluval c4) Now the ball dropper..
I cant honestly take the fish back because i live just around 30 mins from this shop and i dont have money for gas till friday...so what do i do-.-..I honestly dont want any to die because ether way its just a waste of money. So this is my sunday, trying to figure out how to return fish with no money...:eek:
-steven

But again, thank you guys so much for the help and the advice!, i can't wait to get active on this forum!!
(ps, i really hate the fact i have to get rid of my bala, also does anyone know a site or have a little more insight to the fish that might better suite my tank.)

Also jus thought about this, When i do my 50% change, do i treat the new water too. Do i always treat whenever i put new water in. I only have the stress coat right now, wouldnt treating the water everyday add to much stresscoat to the tank?

Dont worry, Steven!!! We will help you through this! Right now, lets focus on keeping the fish you have healthy. They are probably all juveniles right now & you can work on rehoming the fish that will grow too large for your tank. As long as you have a clean bucket & something to scoop out water (pitcher or pot), you can do daily water changes. Dose your water conditioner for the size of your tank, not the amount you are changing every time you change the water. This is very important! The water conditioner will remove any chlorine/chloramines from your tap water (which can harm your fish & your bacteria). Do you have a test kit to test your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? If not, this is the first thing you should look into investing in. For now, 50% water changes daily (like i said, water changes are going to be your new best friend). Please keep asking questions!

When you do your PWC, treat for the whole 30g tank, not just the portion your adding. Don't forget, when you change your water, your also taking out the stuff you put in it last time, so there shouldn't be any major build up. I started with the Tetra AquaSafe when I only had my 10g and never had any problems of build up, but when I got my 55g, I went through the bottle in no time. Then I heard about Prime. Its much more concentrated, and a $15 (online) bottle I think treats 1000 gallons.

As long as you stay on top of the PWC's, I don't think there is an immediate need to return your fish. Just as long as you know the big guys will have to go back next time you go to your lfs. Do any of your buddies have a fish tank? Maybe you can trade them your cae and bala for a used filter? That will help jump start your cycle, and help your other guys out too.

Dont worry, Steven!!! We will help you through this! Right now, lets focus on keeping the fish you have healthy. They are probably all juveniles right now & you can work on rehoming the fish that will grow too large for your tank. As long as you have a clean bucket & something to scoop out water (pitcher or pot), you can do daily water changes. Dose your water conditioner for the size of your tank, not the amount you are changing every time you change the water. This is very important! The water conditioner will remove any chlorine/chloramines from your tap water (which can harm your fish & your bacteria). Do you have a test kit to test your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? If not, this is the first thing you should look into investing in. For now, 50% water changes daily (like i said, water changes are going to be your new best friend). Please keep asking questions!

Thank you!!, Its getting stressful now learning that i made so many mistakes. But the show must go on!,
Ok so question on the dose and conditioner, Like i stated before i have the stresscoat stuff. which says its a conditioner as well as a stress reliever, my question is wouldn't i be putting to much? Wouldn't the stresscoat just made my tank slimmer? No i dont have a test kit. ill end up getting that friday, but ill definitely do my water changes.

Oh, don't get test strips. They are not accurate by any means. If you can't afford the master test kit, at least get a liquid-type ammonia test kit to start off. Thats probably the most important test when you first start your tank. Then save your money for the API master kit.

When you do your PWC, treat for the whole 30g tank, not just the portion your adding. Don't forget, when you change your water, your also taking out the stuff you put in it last time, so there shouldn't be any major build up. I started with the Tetra AquaSafe when I only had my 10g and never had any problems of build up, but when I got my 55g, I went through the bottle in no time. Then I heard about Prime. Its much more concentrated, and a $15 (online) bottle I think treats 1000 gallons.

As long as you stay on top of the PWC's, I don't think there is an immediate need to return your fish. Just as long as you know the big guys will have to go back next time you go to your lfs. Do any of your buddies have a fish tank? Maybe you can trade them your cae and bala for a used filter? That will help jump start your cycle, and help your other guys out too.

Thank you for the explanation!, ill look into prime also, (like ive been saying im really strapped for cash right now.)
Sadly, i dont have any friends with a tank. Weird as that sounds. I have a friend that works at a petshop right down the street, but im not sure if i could trust everything hes going to tell me:p(this is why i have you guys now to back me up):

Thank you!!, Its getting stressful now learning that i made so many mistakes. But the show must go on!,
Ok so question on the dose and conditioner, Like i stated before i have the stresscoat stuff. which says its a conditioner as well as a stress reliever, my question is wouldn't i be putting to much? Wouldn't the stresscoat just made my tank slimmer? No i dont have a test kit. ill end up getting that friday, but ill definitely do my water changes.

Dont worry about your tank getting slimy! This wont happen. Just add a dose for the size of your tank before you refill it with new water. Or, you can dose water conditioner per bucket of new water. Either way will work. :)

No, it's fine, I wouldn't worry about it. When you get paid you can look into getting Prime along with your test kit; it's more concentrated and it'll last longer, but for now the Stress Coat will work.

If you're using buckets for water changes you can just treat each bucket, so put in enough conditioner for each bucket (depending on how many gals it is) and then add it to the tank. Dosing smaller like that may be more difficult (I know with Prime it's 2 drops per gallon but I have no idea what dosing Stress Coat per gallon is) so as said above you can dose for the whole tank after you drain the water and then just replace with new water. If you're going to use an automatic water changer which adds water directly to the tank from the tap, you'll want to dose the whole tank first and then use the Python.

So for right now I'd do at least one 50% water change per day. If you see the fish start acting odd (clamped fins, gasping at the surface, red gills, etc) you may need to increase it, but 50% should be OK for now. Then when you can, return the fish mentioned and get Prime and the API Master Kit.

If you really want to keep the shark you'll need a much larger tank and even then it wouldn't be able to live with most of your fish as they are too small and the Shark is going to see them as food. Plus Balas prefer some Bala friends so you'd need a group of them which you cannot do in a 30 gal. These things get to be 12"+ and aggressive as they mature. They really need a massive tank to accommodate them (probably 150+ gals).

Stress coat doesn't slime up your tank. That slime or sludge, though it doesn't look good in the tank, is actually a really good thing to have. Its the beneficial bacteria, (bb) that break down ammonia and other toxins that can kill your fish, and will always be on every surface of your tank. To keep it to a minimum, keep less fish. Less fish = less ammonia = less food for the bb = less bb = less sludge. That, or you'll have much more work in terms of maintenance keeping everything clean. Algae eaters help a lot, but you have to make sure you don't get one that will grow too big for your tank like your CAE. I know some plecos can grow to 24" long too.

Alrighty, now with the information that i have learned this morning. I will attempt my first 50% water change, i have a bucket and a tube...wish me luck....:D
Kidding!!.
Lets do this!!!..

Alrighty, now with the information that i have learned this morning. I will attempt my first 50% water change, i have a bucket and a tube...wish me luck....:D
Kidding!!.
Lets do this!!!..

Dedicate that bucket to water changes from now on. Last thing you want to do is wash your car with it, then bring that soapy bucket inside for a water change. Bad things will happen.

Back
Top Bottom