Lake malawi info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easyaqua

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 170l (45us gal) tank that has sand and many rock caves. Tank will be set at 26 degrees cel. Filtration is a DIY sump that holds an additional 20l of water in it. Pump flows 1100l per hour and overflow keeps up. I have 2 yellow labs and 2 yellow haps that I'm am going to pick up on Sunday. I can get more from the breeder on the day.

Few questions:
Should I get more fish to lower aggression.
Do I have space for more fish
Can my yellow apples snail live with them
Is 1100l of water running through the tank enough filtration.
Does colour enhancing food really work or will normal cichlid food be enough for great coloration.
Is there anything else I need to know.

This is my first cichlid tank and I am really excited to get these fish. Also I have goldfish in there at the moment I started with a fish less cycle then went to minnows to build up more beneficial bacteria an then I have had the goldfish in for 24hours in and they will be picked up by there owner tomorrow night.
Will add pics
Will appreciate all help

Attachments

• image-16081648.jpg
    image-16081648.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 71
I have a 170l (45us gal) tank that has sand and many rock caves. Tank will be set at 26 degrees cel. Filtration is a DIY sump that holds an additional 20l of water in it. Pump flows 1100l per hour and overflow keeps up. I have 2 yellow labs and 2 yellow haps that I'm am going to pick up on Sunday. I can get more from the breeder on the day.
:popcorn:

Few questions:
Should I get more fish to lower aggression.
No would be my answer. You should stock appropriately to not have issues in the tank. Being over stocked does not do you wonders on water quality nor does it always lower aggression.

Do I have space for more fish
Depends on witch ones you are getting. Most of us believe that haps need to be kept in 6' tanks.

Can my yellow apples snail live with them
Nope they will eventually eat them

Is 1100l of water running through the tank enough filtration.
It may be for some time but I'd try to upgrade a filter to get over 1360

Does colour enhancing food really work or will normal cichlid food be enough for great coloration.
There are foods that I dont know the name of where you live but most of us feed new life spectrum tera a or hikari Excel. I have never been able to tell the difference from those two foods and color enhancing foods.

Is there anything else I need to know.

Here is a couple links to help you out
Lake Malawi and Aquarium Stocking Cichlids - Aquarium Advice

Lake Malawi Mbuna stocking, décor and hardware - Aquarium Advice

Hey thanks for the info. I talked to my friend who is a pet store owner. He has a huge malawi set up I think it's over 1000l easily and he told me I can always give my cichlids to him when they start to outgrow there tank. I am getting both at approximately 2-4 cm long.

I will work on upgrading the sump immediately.

Hey thanks for the info. I talked to my friend who is a pet store owner. He has a huge malawi set up I think it's over 1000l easily and he told me I can always give my cichlids to him when they start to outgrow there tank. I am getting both at approximately 2-4 cm long.

I will work on upgrading the sump immediately.

No problem good luck

Back
Top Bottom