Laying Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to cure my fish of ICH ..did a water change and trying to raise the water temp to 87 degrees .. for some reason my two black fin sharks are laying down in the corner in the tank and it looks as if they are breathing hard and the water temp is only 84 degrees and suggestions?? Thanx..

You might try lowering your tanks water level if you have a hob filter. The "falls" effect will help get more oxygen in the water. You could also try a bubble stone/wand. The higher temps cause lower oxygen levels in the water.

Do you mean bala sharks? The best medicine I have used to cure ich is Pimafix by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Don't worry its all natural so it won't harm your fish or anything in your aquarium.

Um i don't see how Pimafix would help treat a parasitic infection like ich, it's an anti-fungal medication. Oh and just because something is all natural doesn't mean it can't harm anything, it's actually a carcinogen if you check the label.

It causes cancer in humans according to the state of California. But you can't believe everything you read.

no there are black fin sharks/ columbian sharks..

I added another bubble sotne in there and they are not laying around anymore.. Its a small one like for a bowl, but its helpin a lot. I have not added any salt. I dont know what kind to get or how to use it

Jramatized said:
.. for some reason my two black fin sharks are laying down in the corner in the tank and it looks as if they are breathing hard and the water temp is only 84 degrees and suggestions??

Drake said:
Do you mean bala sharks?

Jramatized said:
no there [sic] are black fin sharks/ columbian sharks..

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Ah, ID Sharks.

Ah, the vagaries of common names!

"Columbian shark" refers to Arius jordani (sometimes Arius seemani) [see this link] – a large catfish best suited to a marine setup by adulthood (gradually increase salinity as they mature; though they do well in freshwater as juveniles, they, upon having attained a length of four to five inches, do noticeably better with the addition of marine [not generic “aquarium”] salt to their water).

Not:

- The "Bala Shark": (Balantiocheilus melanopterus) [aka "Bala sharkminnow", "Silver shark", "Tricolor shark"; Puntius melanopterus, Barbus melanopterus (invalid)]

- The "Highfin Banded Shark" (Myxoxcyprinus asiaticus) [aka "Chinese Highfin Sucker", "Sailfin Sucker", "Chinese Sucker", "Wimple Carp"; Myxocyprinus asiaticus sinensis, Myxocyprinus asiaticus asiaticus (likely syn)] – Attains lengths approximating 40 inches in captivity (is endangered in its native China)

- The "Iridescent Shark" (Pangasius Hypophthalmus) [aka"Irridescent Shark" [sic], "I.D. Shark", "Siamese Shark", "Shark Catfish", "Sutchi Catfish"; Pangasius sutchi (syn)]

To see the clear distinction between the “Columbian” and “Iridescent”, look to this link.

- The "Rainbow Shark" (Epalzeorhynchos Frenatum) [aka "Red Shark", "Ruby Shark", "Red-Finned Shark", "Redfin Shark"; Labeo frenatus)

- The "Red-Tailed Black Shark" (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor)
[aka "Red-Tailed Shark"; Labeo bicolor)

… Or any of a veritable host of dissimilar catfish, cyprinids, etc., united only in vaguely “shark-like” finnage or profile.

NOTE: As I understand it, “Columbian Shark Catfish” are relatively fine-scaled fish and, as such, have heightened sensitivity to certain medications. I would err on the side of caution with future dosing.

Questions:

- Can you describe the setup in which your “sharks” currently reside? (State volume, filtration, and any other points you feel to be pertinent.)
- What (and how many) cohabitants dwell alongside said "sharks"?

Ive got 2 silver dollars, 2 scissor tail rasboras, 2 african dwarf frogs, and 2 I think to be sword tails.. had a peacock eel, but he got sucked up lat nitght so Ill be replacing him...

nitrate no3 is 0
nitrate no2 is .5 its gettin better with water changes
GH/hardness is is 75 or 150 not sure
KH/Alkalinity is 120-180
ph leve is around 7.2-7.8

now when I add conditioner it dont change much from my reg tap water on the dip stick readings. I use aqua safe
does that answer your questions?

They are in a 29 gal. I have real and fake plants the real plant is a lilly pad plant.. I had a bubble stone about a foot long and replace it with teh green flexy bar air bubbles. its also about a foot long.. I dont know what kind of filter I have but its the one htta came with the tank..I ahve an aqua culture pump that is for a 20-30 gal tank.. Was recently keepin the temp at around 74-76 f.

hrm, my colombian shark used to always lay on the bottom with the pictus catfish until the lights went out (i think he thought he was a pictus, because all of my other ones stayed out and went crazy on the glass)

anyways, do you see any visible ich spots on them? they, like pictus, and it seems every other catfish (imo) are very susceptible to ich and other diseases.. sadly I had to put one of mine down as he ended up coming to the surface gasping for air :(

Back
Top Bottom