Let's Have Fun Stocking My 29 Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annabanana74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 5 gal (I know it's over-crowded; I'm working the upgrade), and I'm getting a 29 gal for my son for his 7th birthday. We got a good deal on the Aquaeon 29 gal Kit. We got our feet wet with the first tank and made some mistakes. I plan to do it right this time and start a fishless cycle asap. Until then, I am brainstorming and planning.

Here's what we have currently, and how I think we could stock it when the cycle is complete. I am still so new at this, and I have done some research, but I'd love your advice and opinions.

Current Tank:
2 Female Platys (should I get one more?)
2 Corys – albino and peppered

New Fish that we would slowly integrate with 50% of these fish at first:
[FONT=&quot]Discus or Koi Angelfish (centerpiece)
Endler’s livebearers (5?) OR School of neons (8)
Pitbull Pleco
Golden Snail
Red Cherry Shrimp (how many?)[/FONT]
Add 3 julii/panda corys to the two we have. I know there should be more to school.

Too much? All compatible? I also love the German Blue Ram. Should we wait until the tank is more established?

We would prefer to not deal with fry at this point. I would like a peaceful but fun community of fish for the family to enjoy. It will be in the living room.

Thanks all!
Anne

Last edited:
Are you going to jump start your cycle with some of your filter media from the small tank? That might speed things up for you. Good luck!

annabanana74 said:
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 5 gal (I know it's over-crowded; I'm working the upgrade), and I'm getting a 29 gal for my son for his 7th birthday. We got a good deal on the Aquaeon 29 gal Kit. We got our feet wet with the first tank and made some mistakes. I plan to do it right this time and start a fishless cycle asap. Until then, I am brainstorming and planning.

Here's what we have currently, and how I think we could stock it when the cycle is complete. I am still so new at this, and I have done some research, but I'd love your advice and opinions.

Current Tank:

Discus or Koi Angelfish (centerpiece)
Pitbull Pleco
Golden Snail
Red Cherry Shrimp (how many?)
Add 3 julii/panda corys to the two we have. I know there should be more to school.

Too much? All compatible? I also love the German Blue Ram. Should we wait until the tank is more established?

We would prefer to not deal with fry at this point. I would like a peaceful but fun community of fish for the family to enjoy. It will be in the living room.

Thanks all!
Anne

For stocking rehome one of the cories, up the numbers of the other to 6, choose one other Cory type and get six,the two platys,the pleco,the angel, cardinals instead of neons so they aren't eaten,the snail, but nothing else. The endlers,neons,and shrimp would be eaten

Hi Everyone,

Current Tank:

[FONT=&quot]Discus or Koi Angelfish (centerpiece)
Pitbull Pleco
Golden Snail
Red Cherry Shrimp (how many?)[/FONT]

Thanks all!
Anne

So you're adding the platys and the cory to the 29 and then want to add more, right? Sorry, I'm tired today lol

Discus need a larger tank and need groups and are picky about water parameters.

I believe Pitbull Plecos do better in groups of at least 3. Not sure if 1 would be OK on it's own; it's possible but I don't know for sure. 3 plecos and the pandas would be a bit too crowded on the bottom IMO.

The angel may nip at the neons; also they can get pretty large and tall and might be cramped for space with the other fish. A better centerpiece would be a Dwarf Gourami or maybe the GBR.

So you're adding the platys and the cory to the 29 and then want to add more, right? Sorry, I'm tired today lol

Discus need a larger tank and need groups and are picky about water parameters.

I believe Pitbull Plecos do better in groups of at least 3. Not sure if 1 would be OK on it's own; it's possible but I don't know for sure. 3 plecos and the pandas would be a bit too crowded on the bottom IMO.

The angel may nip at the neons; also they can get pretty large and tall and might be cramped for space with the other fish. A better centerpiece would be a Dwarf Gourami or maybe the GBR.

Thanks for your help! Ok. I will nix the angel or discus. How many GBR would I get? Just one or a few?

Could I still get the neons with the GBR?

Maybe I will keep the corys and nix the plecos.

For stocking rehome one of the cories, up the numbers of the other to 6, choose one other Cory type and get six,the two platys,the pleco,the angel, cardinals instead of neons so they aren't eaten,the snail, but nothing else. The endlers,neons,and shrimp would be eaten

I appreciate your help. Wow. 12 corys seem like a lot. So when I school the cory, they need to be the same type of cory?

Are you going to jump start your cycle with some of your filter media from the small tank? That might speed things up for you. Good luck!

I had considered it, but how would I go about this? The filter holder (that's my technical term - ha) only holds one filter at a time. I do have some gravel and a decoration that I could add to the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom