Let's talk about a 10g set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, rmiller is right, although in the short term, water quality is more important than tank size, a 10 gallon is not suitable, long term, for a group of tiger barbs. So if you don't have room for a bigger tank than you should rehome them.

You are correct they are the two males. I have 2 males and 3 females. I really can't afford to buy a new filter, heater, and tank. I would love to give the bigger, more aggressive one, away, but I can't bring myself to just dispose of him.

You can find good deals for a used set up in craigslist. I mean it might be worth checking out for your peace of mind. Good luck!

I just wanted to comment and say after many water changes and a whole bottle of tetra safestart, the ammonia levels are under control (less than .25), tank is completely cycled, and the barbs are happy as could be. I cleared a little swimming room for them and they created a little school. I think it's more about water quality than size of tank. I also quit feeding as much so they spend a lot of time searching for scraps and keeping the tank even cleaner. Next, I plan on introducing a few plants to also keep water quality good and add color to the tank. What a great hobby.

It's great you got ammonia down, but with water changes---it won't stay that way for long. The tank isn't cycled yet I'm afraid. A tank will be cycled when ammonia and nitrite are 0 consistently without water changes and you have some nitrate. If you haven't even had nitrites yet, I'm afraid you have a ways to go. Long-term you're really going to need to upgrade that tank or rehome the fish and choose ones more appropriate for a 10 gal. Here's two guides that may help if you haven't seen them yet:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Well I did end up giving the barbs back to the fish store, and now I have 6 harlequin rasboras. They do just fine, but I do wish I could cycle my tank and make life easier for EVERYONE lol

Good choice on the rasboras.

Where are your water parameters? Any ideas what your hold up on cycling is? We'd be happy to help.

Well after testing today I am surprised to see ammonia is almost gone! But look at my nitrates =O. I could tell the fish were pretty stressed lately. So is this a cycled tank or am I still waiting?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131108_120824.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131108_120824.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
Looks to me like you're cycled. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, about 20 nitrate from what I can see.

Any ideas on why they still fight like cats and dogs then?

Back
Top Bottom