Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labpig

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 80L (20 gal) tank has been up & running 5 months now
A months ago I decided to replace my plastic plants with live plants; nothing fancy just val, hygrophplis, anubius &
Echinodorus

My 15w t8 gives 0.75 watts per gallon which isn't great. I'm getting a reflector but I can't upgrade the lighting further than than

My question is, should I increase my lighting time? It's currently set to 8 hrs per day, but that's before I realised my WPG was so low

Also, my tank is 46cm high.

Thanks

Tank Lighting

My 80L (20 gal) tank has been up & running 5 months now
A months ago I decided to replace my plastic plants with live plants; nothing fancy just val, hygrophplis, anubius &
Echinodorus

My 15w t8 gives 0.75 watts per gallon which isn't great. I'm getting a reflector but I can't upgrade the lighting further than than

My question is, should I increase my lighting time? It's currently set to 8 hrs per day, but that's before I realised my WPG was so low

Also, my tank is 46cm high.

Thanks

Hello lab...

No worries. The reflector will help and you can have your tank lighting on for up to 14 hours a day, though that would be the maximum. I have my tank lights on a timer and set it for 12 hours on and 12 off. Some will say that's too long and algae will be a problem, but I have little or no visible algae in my planted tanks.

You can have more plants that require lower lighting like Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort. These are floating plants and don't require planting. Any of the mosses like Java and Singapore will do well as will Java fern. Add a bit of liquid plant fertilizer like Seachem's Comprehensive and dose by the instructions. Give the plants time to get used to your tank and change half the water every week.

B

Do you guys recommend LED plant lighting or T5? Any advantages or disadvantages to either?

More Lighting ?s

Do you guys recommend LED plant lighting or T5? Any advantages or disadvantages to either?

Hello S...

I've used LED lighting and I think it's overrated and over priced, just my opinion though. A T5 will give you more intense light, but shines over a narrow area. Likely won't cover the entire width of the tank. If you use it, you'll need more than one.

If you're keeping easy to grow plants that require only subdued (low) lighting, a florescent, T8 or T12 from the hardware store will work and the cost is minimal.

B

Thanks Bradbury

I was just a bit worried that 15W wasn't enough for my tank, considering its height

There doesn't seem to be any replacements for the lighting or hood either, that would increase the lighting

Tank Lighting

Thanks Bradbury

I was just a bit worried that 15W wasn't enough for my tank, considering its height

There doesn't seem to be any replacements for the lighting or hood either, that would increase the lighting

lab...

You could use a bi-fold, glass canopy to open up the tank. It's just a couple of pieces of glass connected by a piece of rubber. Then, you could add a strip light to the tank and double the light over the water. Marineland has these for most tanks.

B

Thanks a great idea
I must look it up
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom