Lobsters in fresh water tank with other fishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaheelAhmad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can i keep lobsters with fishes like gold fish and silver sharks? One of my fish just died and lobster was eating it. I am not sure how it died... I mean if lobster actually killed it...

Attachments

• IMG_1480786377.705564.jpg
    IMG_1480786377.705564.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 137
the lobster you speak of is a cray fish , the reason he was eating the dead fish is his job of keeping the tank clean , think of him as a janitor , the fish was most likely sick and died.

yes you can keep him with fish he wouldn't be able to catch healthy fish as they would be to fast for him. be sure you have a tight lid on your tank as they are great escape artists. be sure to keep a rock cave for him to hide as they enjoy exploring as I found out.

here is a fun little story I can tell about these little guys I encountered

I had 3 a little over 20 years ago as my kids wanted them , one day I went over to feed to find one missing looked and looked but couldn't find it.

next day I went to feed again a second one was gone so now I'm looking at the cat.
another day passed the last one was still in the tank . sitting in my chair I saw the very last one climb out. I decided to see were he goes as the other 2 already made the trail.

a hour passed he was 1/2 way between his tank and the kitchen , than he finally made it into the kitchen , he darted across the floor and under the fridge he went , so I pulled out the fridge to find all 3 sitting in the condensation drain tray staring at me like what you want,

these little buggers found a new water source and thought they would have a new home
I was amazed on how the cat didn't catch them making a meal . any way I snatched them up and put them back into there tank. I wound up closing off any open areas around the filter heater ect so they couldn't get out again , needless to say we had them about 5 yeas after that little incident ,

my kids got bored of them so I gave them to a friend for his kids a week went by I got a call all 3 are gone , I giggled than I said check under your fridge sure enough they were there ,

Last edited:
Lol. Thats funny. Dont you think it cannot get out of my tank? As crayfish isnt more then two inches and my tank is about 38" inches of water height and then 6 more inches for fish safety... But i have nothing to close it with...

size isn't the issue there great escape artists
looking at the picture you provided I see many escapes
1)he will climb up that purple tree latch on to that pre filter than from there up the air line
2) same goes for the pre filter on the other end
3) no top is the biggest opportunity
4) all the air lines feeding the bubble's
if he wants out trust me he will get out building him a cave for him to hide in may curve this but it's not a guarantee , egg crate is a good option and cheap you can get this in a home improvement store in the lighting section . screen is another option both very inexpensive under $20. or you could go all out and get Santa to splurge for versa-tops

this is what egg crate looks like and you can add doors for access
first one without
attachment.php

second with door
2 different ways of doing it
img_3392341_1_a556f1867e3a5d6a005ed6a6319a5d08.jpg

img_3392341_2_228702a9abbdca1ff7727c60d23bcfb2.jpg

third shows easiest way to cut it
img_3392341_3_3a6eb0cd7f5c6c8b07f6002139f8c630.jpg

if you scroll down to post 158 it will show you how to do it basically a short narrative
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/round-2-a-241983-16.html
it's very simple to do

Ahan. I will close it with within this week. Thank you so much. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Would bottom feeders like Cory Cats be safe with a crayfish? How about algae eaters.... safe?

Back
Top Bottom