Lone Honey Gourami in Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently working on getting my first tank up and running. It's a 20 gallon long and will end up fairly heavily planted. It will be housing Endler's, pepper cories and neo. shrimp.

I was wondering about adding just one larger, peaceful fish for a bit of flash. Something that wouldn't outgrow a 20 or be a heavy polluter. I also want something that can eat the same sort of food (tropical flakes, micropellets, sinking wafers, etc) as the original fish and not require more specific care.

A gourami seemed like a good choice, but most dwarf gourami seem to often have iridovirus. I like the sound of honey gouramis. They sound fun to watch, engaging and peaceful and don't carry iridovirus as frequently. However, I'm concerned that housing a lone gourami wouldn't be ideal for the fish.

I'm not keen on getting a pair as I don't want to take on the responsibility of breeding atm and I know two male gouramis can be aggressive toward each other. Would a single honey gourami be content in a community tank like this or should I consider a different fish? I'm not a huge fan of cichlids, for the record.

I'm not a big fan of "centerpiece fish." Most all fish do much better if there are others of their species with them. A pair of gouramis in a community tank is no likely to breed and if they manage to, the young won't survive. So breeding is not an issue. Get a pair.

Is there a species you would recommend or any dwarf gourami? Would a pair do alright in my tank size with my proposed fish? Would a betta be more suitable?

Don't put a Betta in there. They can't take any type of flow in the tank and he/she will kill your shrimp.

Sparkling Gourami's are small and peaceful and can be kept in a school.

Ah. I've never had a betta before and didn't know they weren't shrimp friendly. I won't really have much flow though, as I'll be using an air pump filter. No bettas, then!

A pair of gourami seems like the way to go if I decide to add anything down the line. I'll start with my original stock and see how it goes.

Honey gouramis are extremely peaceful and social, not a fish I'd ever keep alone. I had a pair of males in my 20 long a few years back, everything worked out perfectly fine. Honey gouramis just like to have friends around so gender doesn't really matter if you're not trying to breed.

Ah. I've never had a betta before and didn't know they weren't shrimp friendly. I won't really have much flow though, as I'll be using an air pump filter. No bettas, then!

A pair of gourami seems like the way to go if I decide to add anything down the line. I'll start with my original stock and see how it goes.
I found out long ago not to mix Bettas and shrimp. Not once but twice....slow learner. They are a nice snack for them. I agree, see how it goes then look around and plan on what you want.

Back
Top Bottom