Looking for Ideas and Advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, so I am planning my first tank and I have questions!

First, I am buying a Top Fin 40G tank(36"l,18"w,16"h). I am trying to decide on the best filter style. Recommendations?

Second, as far as fish go here is my stock wish list:
Gold Veiled Angelfish
4-6x Zebra Danios
6-8x Neon Tetras
6+ Panda Corys
Dwarf Gourami

Are these good options and will they get along in a community tank?

Third, I am a little wary of doing a planted tank, but I would like to try, since what I have read tells me that it's a better environment for the fish. Any suggestions on the easiest plants to start with?

Sorry this is a long post, and thanks for any help you may be able to give! :thanks:

You could do Giant danios, and some other larger tetras. I'm not all up to date on my community tetras, but the larger ones you would have to make sure they are not nippy, like the congos or exodons would be. Black skirt tetras come to mind but again I'm not sure how nippy they are.

The angel and gourami have long flowy fins that fish love to nip at.

You could do Giant danios, and some other larger tetras. I'm not all up to date on my community tetras, but the larger ones you would have to make sure they are not nippy, like the congos or exodons would be. Black skirt tetras come to mind but again I'm not sure how nippy they are.

The angel and gourami have long flowy fins that fish love to nip at.

Thanks, yeah everything I've read says the bigger tertras are nippy. My dad always had neons though and never had a problem with that.

In regards to a planted tank, it depends on what type of light and substrate you have. But even if you only have sand or gravel and low light, there are still a few plants that would do fine. Water wisteria, java fern, java moss, and anubias are just a few that I know of.
Depending on your answer to the light and substrate questions, you may be able to grow much more though :)

In regards to a planted tank, it depends on what type of light and substrate you have. But even if you only have sand or gravel and low light, there are still a few plants that would do fine. Water wisteria, java fern, java moss, and anubias are just a few that I know of.
Depending on your answer to the light and substrate questions, you may be able to grow much more though :)

I have 2 20watts in a 50g tank, with a black sand substrate. I purchased java fern and dwarf grass. And a third that I can't think of the name now. I plan on upgrading my lights eventually.

Here is my tank!

Attachments

• image-4049201527.jpg
    image-4049201527.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image-71378014.jpg
    image-71378014.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 46
The dwarf hairgrass needs very high light and fertilizers, I'm afraid it most likely will die in your tank pretty soon. Although your light is very very low, it's possible that the java ferns might survive:)

Make sure the java ferns are tied on top of a rock or piece of wood or something, they cannot be buried!

The third one isn't by chance peacock fern is it?

Yes, I think it is peacock fern. And I was afraid of that with the grass. My brother insisted on buying it for me and I hadn't had a chance look it up to see what it needs.

Also the peacock fern will die because it is not fully aquatic. It's really meant for terrariums so the top can be out of water. I made the mistake if buying that one once too.

Also the peacock fern will die because it is not fully aquatic. It's really meant for terrariums so the top can be out of water. I made the mistake if buying that one once too.

Oh no... Hopefully I can find someone to rescue these poor plants. I was so afraid not having time to research would come back to haunt me. Perhaps I should stick to plastic and silk for now. I have been much more careful about researching the types of fish I want, so hopefully when I introduce the first few this weekend things will go better!

Back
Top Bottom