Looking to start a first tank (30G)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NielsenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm looking to get started with a freshwater aquarium, probably in about two weeks. This would be my first tank.

Assuming I can re-arrange some furniture in a way I like, I'm planning to get a 30 Gallon tank. I'm still researching the options for stocking, but in general I'd like a school and one-two larger fish. My girlfriend has a tank with platy's and tetra's and I'd sorta like to do different fishes.

From a few of the books/sites I've been reviewing I've been thinking about 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 Flying Fox and 6 Zebra Danios. Using the 1" per gallon guideline I should be fine when they are full grown and significantly under while they are still juvenile. AqAdvisor suggests that its only 71% "stocked" even at full growth, so perhaps I could increase the danio school a bit, but beter safe than sorry. I'm not really attached to any of the species listed though (and will be checking local availability this weekend). I did like the look of some of the swordtails, but I think I read somewhere that they don't mix well with the gourami's (both being showy fin fish). I'm not at all attached to the flying fox, just seemed like the most interesting (and smallest in total inches) of the easy options for the bottom of the tank region, since the small corys want a school.

Now my more specific questions:
1) I'm interested in a planted tank -- do you think its wise to try that with a first tank, or is that just asking for trouble? I haven't found references yet for figuring out appropriate amounts of live plants to make a difference in nitrates, while not also taking over the entire tank, so any links or book recommendations would be appreciated!

2) When it comes time to slowly stock the tank, I understand about fishless or with-fish cycling. And I understand in either case the need to slowly introduce fish once the cycle has been established. However I've seen information about the need to introduce a school all at once, otherwise the newcomers get beat-up on. What's the safe, correct way to build up to the listed load. (Or what if I were doing 1 flying fox, 1 gourami, and 9 zebra danios for a larger school)

3) If i'm going to have a short (4.5 days) business trip near when I want to start the tank, would it be possible to start a fishless (with or without plants) cycle before I leave, or would the ammonia levels drop too low to keep to keep the bacteria alive near the end of the trip and just be wasted time?

Thanks!

So hi there! Not sure but I think the flying go is also a Chinese algea eater? If so it gets nearly a foot and not for this size tank, but might be wrong! Also, only 1 gourami, they are very agressive to their own kind! Another thing, the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule isn't very good, and not used by anyone here really. It doesn't account bioload. Carbines, or aggression. Another thing, the fishless cycle is very little work. Just testing the water every day and addin ammonia as needed. But I'll let you reserch that. So for stocking you could do
8 danios
1 blue gourami
8 neon tetras
6 Cory's
The Cory's are really the best for your tank, and if you don't like them you candi kuhli loaches or a bn pleco. Tell me wht ya think!

Thanks for the comments!

All the sources I see for the flying fox list its max size as 6". Species name: E. Kalopteris.

The sources I've been looking at also seem to indicate that the blue gourami (three spot gourami) aren't as aggressive as the other gourami and prefer to be paired (they do mention needing to provide a shelter/cave type escape for the female after spawning or to remove the female.) I'm happy to keep things simple and just have one of them.

Don't really want tetras, so probably need another schooler for the mid tank. Maybe Narrow-Wedge Harlequin, or other Rasbora instead?

Flying fox is different from an SAE. They can grow 4-6" and can be territorial. If you add it I'd get it last and keep an eye on it for aggression toward other fish. http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Sharks/FlyingFox.asp

Since you know someone with a tank, see if you can get some filter media from that tank to help yours cycle. With some seeded media from another tank you could do a fish-in cycle if you start slowly. For schools, just add a few fish at a time until you get to the number you want.

Gouramis are hit and miss. They do fine alone and can be better in a group of one male to a few females. Pairs can be formed but they can be aggressive to each other or other fish. A lot of it will just depend on the type of fish you get and what their personality is.

Harlequins would work.

Thanks librarygirl. I think I'll scale back to only a single gourami and add a few extra danios. I think I should be ok with the Flying Fox since it sounds like its normally ok with other species.

I'm not sure I'll try to get filter media from my girlfriend's tank; while she's had it a long time she recently did some maintenance, that after reading all about normal fish care was probably a bad idea.... -- total water change, filter replacement, rinsing substrate and rocks/fake plants. This was before we knew anything about cycling -- she's had her tank for about a year and had only been topping the water back off, no PWC... Four platys... she kept trying to add some tetras but they didn't do well (I think I understand why now)

The LFS when they test her water say the nitrites were non-zero, but never commented on her nitrates which surprises me. I want to get a test kit and check out what's going on there. At best she's about 1-2 weeks into a new cycle. At this point I'd just assume start from scratch on my tank and measure/watch the cycle happen to get a better understanding.

Back
Top Bottom