lots of questions and need some answers!!!!!!!!!1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have city tap water, you will need a conditioner to remove chlorine, but I always use a conditioner anyway because it helps to replace slime cloating and neutralize heavey metals. Also helps to decrease stress during water changes.

you guys are really helping me thanx for all the help ive learned more in an hour from you guys then every website ive been to

my filter is a fluval404 anyone else use one of those? and also since i havent decided on freshwater or saltwater how much harder is a saltwater tank to upkeep then a freshwater one?

Saltwater is a higher up keep. I would recommend reading some of the informations in the fourms about the saltwater, i beleve you would have to buy new equipment. and the water changes will cost more as you need to add salt and what not. The fish also tend to be a bit more pricy. I have a 20 gal Sw and am just starting a new 30 gal FW. Read up! ;P

May I suggest you consider fishless cycling, since you now seem aware of the concept of cycling, and the effect an uncycled tank will have on your starter/feeder fish.

if you want the easier option go freshwater. Saltwater is much more compllicated and harder and takes more maintenance. If you really really want saltwater but it is too hard, go brackish water. brackish water is half freshwater and half saltwater, you get the best of both worlds

Hi Zach and welcome to AA! Kudos to you for researching what you need to do before you just dump your fish in there (of course I just dumped mine in when I started). The filter you picked was an excellent choice for a 55 gallon. I've never used Fluvals myself but tons of others here love them. 8) If you would like to learn about saltwater tanks, I suggest you check out some of the articles in the saltwater articles section, and if you still have questions about SW just ask the salties! SW can be more difficult to keep than FW, but I think you should do whatever you want with your tank- I mean, that's the only way you'll really be happy with it, right? I agree that you will have to buy some new equipment though, if you choose to go SW.

Be sure to read up on fishless cycling, and yes, you will probably have to use dechlorinator in your water. Better safe than sorry. I use Seachem's Prime as well and I like it because it is so concentrated you only have to use 2 drops per gallon.
I'm no saltie so I can't help you there, but if you have any FW questions feel free to PM me. Good luck! :mrgreen:

you should *always* add something to take out chlorines and chloramines from tap water you put in the tank. avoid any other additives. pet stores will try to sell you pH adjusters, ammonia reducers, etc., but they will only cause problems. make sure the water you add is as close to the temp of the water in the tank (~78 degrees for tropicals) as possible.

if you are not doing a fishless cycle, you will need to do partial water changes during the cycle to ensure that ammonia (and later nitrite) levels don't rise to dangerous levels that will kill your fish. check the articles about the cycle for more information. if ammonia levels rise above 1, your fish will be in danger. the cycle will take some weeks, during which you need to be monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels closely.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom