lots of questions and need some answers!!!!!!!!!1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a 55 gallon acrylic tank. I'm brand new and know nothing about the fish tank hobby and i am trying to learn what to do. so here it goes. i just got done filling my tank and the heater has got the water up to 76 degrees. how ofter should i do a water change and what are the steps on how to do a water change wont that change my water temperature to drastically. also. what should i clean my acrylic tank so it does not get scratched?Also, how do i clean the gravel i have heard of a vacuum but how do you go about doing that please someone help me i am planning on stocking it later this week.

WELCOME TO AA :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ok congrats on getting a new tank and joining the best forum on the web!

partial water change once a week, you can get away with two weeks sometimes. you wil need to change 20-25% each week using a gravel vacuum and a bucket method. you can clean gravel with a gravel vaccuum. the debris in the gravel is sucked up a tube and into the water. gravel vacuum is done in a partial water change.

i clean my acrylic tank witih a sponge

nitrogen cycle article: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

there is a good link in the articles section about cycling. It should give you an understanding of the cycling process. hope that helps.

here is how water change works:

you need
tubing
bucket

1. cover the end of the tube with your thumb.
2. now you have to fill the tube up with water. hold the top end of the tube open with your right hand and dunk it in the water for 20secs. then take it out and watch all the air go out the top and the water starts filling up at the bottom. do this until the tubing is filled up to the top.
3. let go of the bottom end to let the water come out the bottom. Now the water from your tank is siphoned out into the bucket.

after i get the water into the bucket and dump it out should i fill the bucket back up with hot, warm, or cold well water or do i haev to treat the water with something before i put it in the tank?

I just started a 55 gallon 2 months ago.. here are a few tips:

Look up FISHLESS CYCLING... i did not do this but it is something you might want to try. it involves using pure ammonia to cycle your tank instead of "starter fish"

If you choose not to do the fishless cycling you will need a couple of hardy fish to get you tank started. basically they start producing waste... Ammonia... and then bacteria start growing that turn the ammonia into nitrites and then more bacteria will grow to turn the nitrites into nitrates. I used 5 zebra Danios to cycle my tank. Don't be alarmed when you wake up one day and your tank is all cloudy. that's just the bacterial bloom and should clear up within a week. I have heard that its not a good idea to add any chemicals to make the water clear.. mine is crystal clear now.

You need some sort of filter (i have an aquaclear power filter that filters 300 GPH that i love and IMO is the easiest because you can change out the filter media at different times) Basically, there are three types of filtration: Chemical (carbon), Mechanical (pulling the water through something like a sponge) and Biologica (your bacteria). If you use a power filter, they have different media in them. like sponges, carbon cartrigas, and mine has some organic stuff that floats on top for the bacteria to grow in. You don't want to change any of this whil your tank is cycling. I don't like UG filters.. and most people that i know don't really reccomend them anymore.

here is what's going to happen with your cycle... you need to get a TEST KIT of course. and test your Ammonia and nitrites every other day ( i actually tested mine daily because im obsessive compulsive like that.. lol) First thing your going to see is the ammonia levels start climbing, don't worry, this is supposed to happen. they are going to skyrocket to the highest level your kit can test for.. after a certain period of time (sometimes 1-2 weeks) the ammonial levels will start to drop and the NitrITE levels will start to go up. These will also peak and then begin to fall rapidly. Mine took a month , but after a period of time your Nitrites and Ammonia should read ZERO. This means your cycle is complete. You can then start adding new fish.. do this SLOWLY, only one or two per week IMO. This is the stage I am currently at.

Now you need to start doing regular water changes. IMO weekely 10-20% water changes are the best. I use a gravel vac and just hover it over the substrate because i have live plants. but if you have an UG filter you need to REALLY clean the gravel by agitating it in the gravel vac because junk gets sucked down into it (see why i hate the UG filters) Some people say monthly 30% water changes will suffice. The reason for doing the water changes is to keep your NitrATE levels low (below 20 i believe)

I hope my info helps... I am a newbie as well, but i have done a TON of research and i believe all my info is accurate. GOOD LUCK :)

i would try to get it as close as to what you have in your tank. then i would add conditonar if nessasary then add it slowly ( a little every 15 mins or so ). I'm a newbie myself but this seems to work for me.

ok a gravell vaccuum is done the same as a water change except there is a really big open end cylinder at the end of the water change tube. you know how the water is sucked out in the water change? well if you put the cylinder in the gravel, not only ddoes water get sucked out but also the dirt and gunk are too into the bucket!

so if you buy a gravel vacuum follw the same steps as the water change. except put the cylinder into different parts of the gravel.

i just read a article on the cycling procedure so what its saying in laymons terms after my ammonia and nitrites go way up and then fall to zero that completes the cycle right? and then i should just keep up on my water changes to keep the water and nitrates low? correct me if im wrong theres just alot of scientific stuff going on.. lol

i would add the conditonar from my understanding it won't harm. Usually as rule of thumb (from what i've heard) if add the conditionar if using tap water.

yep you got it. when refilling your tank you will need to add something that removes chlorine, chloramine and ages the water. i recomend wardley tri start

I agree with AshleyNicole on the fishless cycle...so you dont torture the poor fish...i wish i would have known about it before...2 months ago i got my 5gal tank and got 2 platies to get the cycle going...yesterday i got a 29 gal and i started a fishless cycle with a raw shrimp i just threw in...we'll see how this one goes...but at least i know i wont feel guilty for any deaths due to my own ignorance this time...welcome to AA ang good luck!

Unless you know that the well water does not contain chlorine, chloramine, or any else thats harmful then add the water conditioner. Follow the instructions on the bottle to see how much of it you have to add.

I reccommend Seachem Prime which looks like this http://www.aquariumguys.com/prime250ml.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom