Malawi Biotope, build log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baobeiiiiiiii

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi,

I'm in Shanghai, China, and i'd like a Lake Malawi biotope tank filled with mbuna as a gift for my Brother. He's coming back in 3 weeks, so time is short!

Key things: i'd like it to be as close to the natural environment in Lake Malawi as possible, biotope. That is of course impossible... the rocks there are the size of cars. However hopefully I can achieve a similar 'look'... that is still natural looking.

A few issues to begin with... i can't get limestone here, period. So i'm using what I can, which is called Chinese 'dragon stone'. This is a pic of the tank after a couple of hours of rock placement:

Full size pic: tank thus far

I bought perhaps 100kg of that rock, of all sizes, many much smaller than the photo, but I chose bigger rocks because... Lake Malawi has huge rocks.

With this rock placement, I just 'tried' to make it look like what nature would do, if there was a landslide of rock into the ocean. No fancy wall or anything, but i'm sure it can be improved.

I'd really appreciate advice on several things:

Rock placement: (how can I make it better (more rocks, less rocks, more height, no detail is too small) If you hate a particular rock, let me know :)),

Lighting: the tank is using two bulbs which together put out about 85W, way too bright... something like a soft-ish blue light would be nice. Recommendations?

Sand: I don't want to use white sand. ADA la plata sand looks nice, but can't find it here.

Filtration: I have an eheim 600, should i add crushed coral into it or anything else?

TY.

latest try:

Looks good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekend... traveled far outside of the city to find some rocks. This is what I bought.

I think shape wise, they more resemble what is natural in the rift lake, which would be smooth rocks. They threw in the sand for free plus a bag of tiny rocks with dirt etc. Once algae grows on them, I think it will look quite natural. 150kg, not an easy task!

Imagebin - A place to slap up your images.

It was an industrial supply place, they actually do have stones the size of cars, it's amazing to look at. They thought it very weird for a foreigner to travel there to buy rocks.

Those rocks look very nice

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom