Missing Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am on day 9 of my fishless cycle of my 10 gallon tank. The tank was decently seeded with the sponge filter from an active cycled 5 gallon, about a cup and a half of gravel and all decorative plants and items that were in the 5 gallon. I am a little baffled by my test results thus far and am wondering if the seed material is the reason things seem strange. Below are the results of my testing thus far. The reason I am a bit lost is because I have not once had a nitrite reading but I do have nitrate readings. In the log below you will see some entries that simply read "----". Since I was under the impression that I would have to see nitrites before i could get a nitrate reading, these "----" represent that I did not bother running that test at the time. The only reason I actually started testing for nitrates is because in another thread discussion I had, someone mentioned that I must have some nitrates if my ammonia was dropping. As soon as I preformed my first nitrate test, I started getting readings. I double checked my water source just to be sure this wasnt something in the water giving off these readings and the source water read 0 nitrates so I know it is not coming from there. Also below in the log you may notice a lot of variations in my pH. I was having trouble for a while with my pH continuing to raise so the variations are due to water changes and peat moss to try and bring the level down to an ideal range for my fishless cycle. Anyhow... on to the test log.

Day 1
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ----

Day 2
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 2ppm

Day 3
Ammonia: 1ppm
Ammonia dosed back up to 4ppm

Day 4
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 3ppm

Day 5

Day 6
pH: 8.0
Nitrate: 5ppm
20% pwc pH still at 8.0 so another 50% pwc pH lowered to 7.4
Ammonia dosed back up to 4ppm

Day 7
Ammonia: 3ppm
Peat Moss added to try and lower pH again

Day 8

Day 9
Nitrate: 10ppm

What the heck happened to getting my nitrites?!?

Edit: Using API Freshwater Master Kit

You said you used seeded media so my guess is there was already enough of the bacteria that changes nitrites to nitrates that your BB didn't need to build anymore up. If you put 4ppm of ammonia in and it's processed in 24 hours your ready to stock. Sometimes if you add enough seeded media your tank will be immediately cycled.

Thanks Rivercats! This is exciting to hear. I think I might be approaching the finish line soon!

Back
Top Bottom