My 44g log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RIP

The one that was not looking so good passed away 30 min after my last post:(.
I returned him to the LFS and they tested my water and came to the same result I did not have amm, trite, or trate. ph was a little lower 7 but they used strips.
They did notice a small red spot on him and told me he may have passed because of it.
They offered me a replacement asked about levels they asked how often I was testing I told them 2X day and getting feed back from this site.
He told me to add a few more fish then since I was on top of the tank and I had the starter material.
Picked up 1 zebra dano, 1 orange glofish(replacement), 2 platys(males).
The zebra will make a good addition to the other glofish and I made sure he was the smallest to make sure he did not dominate the glofish.
Total cost for the additional fish $1.80 they felt bad about the loss.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Fish die sometimes and there's nothing we can do about it. Could have been weak and the stress of the move wouldn't have helped. :( since you adding more fish this early remember to keep a close eye on your params. But I know you will anyways. :D No more fish till we have nitrates and no ammonia and nitrite ok?

img_1662028_0_f2904637456f4f399945dc53448a4533.jpg

First is ammonia looks to be 0, second is nitrate looks to be 5, third is Nitrite looks to be 0.
Photos of clear aquarium
img_1662028_1_01c97b87ad554672063d5150aac6c527.jpg

img_1662028_2_c105b5a0c2c4ffd9838f36146ac9bd6a.jpg

img_1662028_3_2792756b0c180c6a0f9d27d103aee85d.jpg

Is it possible to get no ammonia reading and go right to Nitrate reading.
At first I thought I had 0's but while getting camera the color change a little.

I must have missed the part where you added seeded filter media but if you added enough then yes it's possible your tank is already fully cycled and can handle the current load. I'd still keep testing daily for a good week to make sure there aren't any spikes before adding more fish though. Good luck!

The kids said we had to name the fish

I have currently 5 glofish and 1 zebra Dano and 2 mickey mouse platies

Fish Name
Glofish Orange-Nemo
Glofish Purple-Barney
Glofish Red-Rosey
Glofish Green-Kewi
Glofish Blue-Blu
Zebra Dano-Stripes
Mickey Red-Mickey
Mickey Orange-Minnie

Fish are very lively. Glofish chasing each other.
pH 7.6
ammo, trate, trite all 0

Seem that I may have had a little Nitrate yesterday but none today.

Fish are very lively. Glofish chasing each other.
pH 7.6
ammo, trate, trite all 0

Seem that I may have had a little Nitrate yesterday but none today.

Unless you have live plants the nitrates should be there. They only get removed through water changes. The nitrate test can be fickle; if you don't do it exactly as the instructions state you can get a false reading. Try shaking both nitrate bottles for 30 seconds and tap bottle #2 a few times on a hard surface; there's a reagent powder inside that can get clumped and cause inaccurate readings. Also be sure to shake the test tube vigorously for the full 60 seconds.

Great Thanksgiving day
All fish look and are acting happy.
pH 7.6
Ammo, trite, trate= 0

Should I be seeing something or is nothing a good thing. Thinking the reading I got of 5 was the background I held it up against.

Bigge_al said:
Great Thanksgiving day
All fish look and are acting happy.
pH 7.6
Ammo, trite, trate= 0

Should I be seeing something or is nothing a good thing. Thinking the reading I got of 5 was the background I held it up against.

It's been 3-4 days? I wouldn't worry.

Just to test my test kit I got a drop of window cleaner and added it to 5ml of water and the result was immediate blue so the kit is working.

Ammo, trate, and trite=0
Happy fish.
Got call from Petco concerning my complaint over the recommendation to use and then flush feeder goldfish to cycle tank.

My sons new favorite seat
img_1663958_0_bdbcb837b3626514da8222ce18fe84a3.jpg

I have the same looking tank but mine is a 44?

Attachments

• image-3316419484.jpg
    image-3316419484.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 63
  • image-977070467.jpg
    image-977070467.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 57
Mistake in Tank size.

Wanted to thank Dwohlge1 after his post I took some measurements of my tank and have come to the conclusion my tank is also a 44g.

Even nicer to find out that my tank is 44g but does throw a small monkey wrench into the filter size. Since my filter is rated for 40g does it need to be bigger.

Bigge_al said:
Wanted to thank Dwohlge1 after his post I took some measurements of my tank and have come to the conclusion my tank is also a 44g.

Even nicer to find out that my tank is 44g but does throw a small monkey wrench into the filter size. Since my filter is rated for 40g does it need to be bigger.

It wouldn't hurt to add a second filter. The ratings on the filters are usually exaggerated by the manufacturer. The more filtration the better IMO. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
It wouldn't hurt to add a second filter. The ratings on the filters are usually exaggerated by the manufacturer. The more filtration the better IMO. :)

I have that tank and you can only fit one HOB. The biggest you can get is 50g. I have a canister and a HOB on mine.

One week with tank running 5 days with fish.
Ammo-.25
trite-0
trate-0

Did 25% water change. added Prime and Stability

One week with tank running 5 days with fish.
Ammo-.25
trite-0
trate-0

Did 25% water change. added Prime and Stability

Good job! Just test daily as you've been doing. The ammonia is going to start rising so you may need to increase your water changes depending upon the readings (e.g. a single 25% water change wouldn't be enough to lower ammonia that reads 1 sufficiently). After a 2-3 weeks of this you should start seeing nitrite as well and that can be the tougher of the phases as nitrites will want to rise fairly quickly, but daily testing and pwc as needed will help your fish get through it. Good luck!

I plan to add another filter to my tank want y'alls input into location.
The tank is a corner pentagon the current filter in on the back right corner, should I add the new filter to the back left corner or to the right side beside he other one.

Back
Top Bottom