My 44g log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bigge_al said:
I plan to add another filter to my tank want y'alls input into location.
The tank is a corner pentagon the current filter in on the back right corner, should I add the new filter to the back left corner or to the right side beside he other one.

You can add it where ever it will fit. I don't think it really matters where exactly.

New filter

Added Tetra Whisper 40i to tank tonight. I got it for a steal but I am not sure I like it I had to take out a gallon of water make it work. With the 2 filters together I have 80g filter capacity.
The external filter had the down spout going about 1/3 down from the top should I get an extension for it to get closer to the bottom it has about 10 inches to get to bottom.

And so it begins

Ammo-.50
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20

Did 25% water change will do another one later after testing

Ammo-.25
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-5-10

25% water change with prime added to tank.
The fish seem to get more active after water change could be the fresh water.

Tested tap water pH is 6.8 tank is 7.6. Any ideas what triggers the spike in the tank.

Bigge_al said:
Ammo-.25
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-5-10

25% water change with prime added to tank.
The fish seem to get more active after water change could be the fresh water.

Tested tap water pH is 6.8 tank is 7.6. Any ideas what triggers the spike in the tank.

Let a glass of tap water sit out overnight with an air stone then check the pH again. Then you will get the 'real' pH of your tap water. It may need to gass off.

Ammo-1.0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-5

Did almost a 75% water change and added Prime and Stability.

75% water changes are a load of crap with 44g tank Hauling 25-30 gal of water from the bathroom is tough.

Bigge_al said:
Ammo-1.0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-5

Did almost a 75% water change and added Prime and Stability.

75% water changes are a load of crap with 44g tank Hauling 25-30 gal of water from the bathroom is tough.

You can either get a python or an Aqueon water changer online (petstore is over priced). It would be a good investment.

The guy who delivered my furnace used a connected for his faucet and a hose. Not sure about how safe this is.

Dwohlge1 said:
You can either get a python or an Aqueon water changer online (petstore is over priced). It would be a good investment.

The guy who delivered my furnace used a connected for his faucet and a hose. Not sure about how safe this is.

I use a normal garden hose. I modified it to fit my kitchen faucet and have an old gravel vac on one end. Cost me $2 in parts and works well.

At 4:45 pm rechecked
Ammo-.25
pH-7.2
Nitrite-5ish
Nitrate-0

Did 25% water change

At 8:45pm rechecked
Ammo-0
pH-7.4
Nitrite-5ish

14 days into fish-in cycle

Morning
Ammo-less than .25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5

No water change will recheck tonight.

Did not recheck last night.

This morning
Ammo-0
Nitrate-10-20
Nitrite-0

Ammonia is not showing anymore does this mean my tank has cycled.
Redid Nitrate after reading that you will get a 5 reading if you do not beat the crap out of the #2 bottle. I had been shaking it but after I beat the crap out of it the result showed.

Did not recheck last night.

This morning
Ammo-0
Nitrate-maybe 5
Nitrite-0

Ammonia is not showing anymore does this mean my tank has cycled.

It could be but it could also be the water changes. In the post above you posted NitrIte at 5, was that correct? I'd keep an eye on that to make sure it stays at 0. If it spikes you want to do water changes. Nitrite at 5 is very dangerous to fish so you'd want to do a couple of 50-60% water changes back-to-back to get them down. Nitrite is as toxic to fish as ammonia. You're doing well so far!

And yep fish love fresh water, particularly if it brings down toxins, so that's why they're perky afterwards. Also I second the aqueon water changer or the Python, you can refill and drain directly from the sink and no more buckets. It's awesome. If you do get one just remember to add Prime to the tank before you refill and add enough Prime for the whole volume of the tank, not just the water you're replacing.

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5

I did a PWC earlier and the Nitrate level went down.
I took water sample to pet store and talked to them and they confirmed that since my Ammo level has not went up and that my Nitrate level has risen that I could add a few more fish and closely monitor the levels.
So my current fish in tank are:
5 glofish danio
1 zebra danio
3 Mickey Mouse Platies

I added today
5 tiger barbs (very small) not much bigger than the glofish. One I like them and two population control of fries and eggs.

My plans to add more fish include
2 dalmation mollies
5 Cardinal Neons
2 oto much later after algae growth

Nitrate rise

Tested this morning
Ammo-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-20

did a 50% WC.

pH 7.4
temp-75f

Was surprised by the spike in nitrates. Is there anything other than adding live plants that will reduce nitrates so I do not have to do PWC so often. I planned for weekly PWC but if levels increase like that then I will need to do daily PWC.

Back
Top Bottom