My fishless cycling data - am I on right track ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like your chart. Nice work. I am curious to know when/if you did any water changes. Perhaps you can put in a row each time you do a water change and by how much.

You have a few swings in there, especially in your Amonia going from 6+, to .25 the next day. I'm curious how that's happening.

You adding any chem's? Changing between tap water or R/O water?

I am not adding any chemicals. Have not changed water as yet after I started cycling.
I stopped adding Ammonia after I got the spike at 6. Then restarted adding half of the ammonia , i was adding before, after Ammonia started reducing. I have been adding BioEnzyme which I bought at Petco. I think the BioEnzyme helps in the last stage of cycling in converting nitrite to nitrate.

Thanks for looking :)

Your nitrites should be coming down as the nitrates go up. I believe you can start with the water changes, but wait until someone else chimes in :D

Here's my 2 cents.

Based on your readings I'd say you've got quite a large Nitrite spike such that your cycling might stall. I'd do water change(s) until you get the levels down to no more than 5 ppm.

Also I'd stop using that BioEnzyme product. It doesn't use the correct bacteria so all your doing is prolonging the cycling process. Good luck!

Cool, will do a 40-50% water change tommorrow (have set the water aside today to remove chlorine), should I add any more ammonia ?

You'll have to keep adding ammonia until the cycle is completed and you add fish. Otherwise the bacteria won't have any food and will die.

Just a suggestion here.... grab some dechlorinator too so you don't have to wait to do water changes. It's fine to wait during the fishless cycling but what if you have an emergency in the future with your water parameters and can't wait to do a water change? Good luck! :)

AtodaJ said:
You'll have to keep adding ammonia until the cycle is completed and you add fish. Otherwise the bacteria won't have any food and will die.

Just a suggestion here.... grab some dechlorinator too so you don't have to wait to do water changes. It's fine to wait during the fishless cycling but what if you have an emergency in the future with your water parameters and can't wait to do a water change? Good luck! :)

Yeah I have a dechlorinator which I usually use any ways AFTER keeping the water for one day . You can't be too sure :)
But I am not using it right now , becuase my water conditioner also removes ammonia

I did a 40% water change on Saturday. The ammonia was 0 on Sunday but the nitrites are still off hte chart(10+) and nitrate are at 60. I guess I will be doing another 60% water change today again !

Checked again yesterday ..same parameters still , nitrites still off the chart (10+)
Did a 50% water change again yesterday.
Will check the water params today again

Eager to get my betta :(

You're doing everything perfect swanandmokashi. Just keep up with it. It will pay off in the end when your tank is cycled, and your fish actually live. :? :lol:

-brent

flipz said:
You're doing everything perfect swanandmokashi. Just keep up with it. It will pay off in the end when your tank is cycled, and your fish actually live. :? :lol:

-brent

thanks !! hopefully I will have healthy fish this time :D

i am sure that i cannot give you the best information chemical wise, but i have found that if you are starting a new tank, let the water run for 1-2 days with the filter going, and add 1 feeder fish per 5 gallons. it seems to work like a charm to get tanks ready for new arrivals. just a suggestion.

goldengirl said:
i am sure that i cannot give you the best information chemical wise, but i have found that if you are starting a new tank, let the water run for 1-2 days with the filter going, and add 1 feeder fish per 5 gallons. it seems to work like a charm to get tanks ready for new arrivals. just a suggestion.

I am trying to do a FISHLESS CYCLING , which means no harm to the starter fish :band: - in fact NO starter fish :band:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom