My New 5 Gallon Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is what I have going for the tank so far. It's only in its first week but it's going. There's 6 Marimo balls in there, 2 driftwood pieces, and Flourite Red substrate for future plants. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425257455560.jpg
    1425257455560.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 93
You need some Anubius on that driftwood!

What are you doing for stocking? I would recommend:

5 neon tetras and 5 cherry shrimp
OR
2 dwarf pufferfish
OR
2 scarlet badis and 3 blueberry shrimp

I was definitely thinking Anubius lol. Close! We're doing 6-7 Ember Tetras and 4-5 cherry shrimp. I would have liked to have gone for the dwarf puffer fish but seeing as I have a long trip home from college I wouldn't want to put them under that kind of stress. So we were thinking just doing shrimp until the drive home.

Have you looked at chilli rasboras? They're really cool and have the exact same requirements as ember tetras.

I have actually. I was going to get those first until I found the Ember Tetras. I couldn't resist the color, but theyre definitely a good back up of I can't find any embers at my lfs.

Guys, my tank has gotten really cloudy as of the last couple of days. I'm not sure what's up. I was thinking about doing a pwc later today and rinsing out the filter in the water that's going out. I'll put a picture up later. I don't know what's happening. :(

I know!! They're adorable!! They're like my favorite thing in the whole wide world and they weren't expensive either lol.

After the pwc. Some new decor. Substrate got moved around a bit so I hope it'll settle and be a little bit better than before. :/

Attachments

• 1425506092706.jpg
    1425506092706.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 58
Guys it's gotten worse I think. It got better for a bit, but then just got worse. Could it be the tannins from the tank or something else? I'm thinking about doing an even bigger water change to get most of the dirty water out. Idk what to do. :/

Did you rinse your substrate before you put it in ?

You can add a foam prefilter to your intake and try changing water without stirring up substrate too much.

Some of it could be tannins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My vote is substrate/cycling/and tannins all coming together to make a cloudy mess lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah it is a double post. Sorry, I panicked. I wasn't sure what to do.. I was trying to figure out how to delete posts but I don't think I can.. anyway, I did rinse it out before putting it into the tank. I thought it was tannins too, even though the seller said it was tannins free and I cured it at home too. I took it out of the tank and left it overnight in a bucket of water I use for pwc. Nothing happened. I'm thinking its just the substrate now. I'll probably just have to go in and clean it more. Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry again about the double post. :/

Yeah it is a double post. Sorry, I panicked. I wasn't sure what to do.. I was trying to figure out how to delete posts but I don't think I can.. anyway, I did rinse it out before putting it into the tank. I thought it was tannins too, even though the seller said it was tannins free and I cured it at home too. I took it out of the tank and left it overnight in a bucket of water I use for pwc. Nothing happened. I'm thinking its just the substrate now. I'll probably just have to go in and clean it more. Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry again about the double post. :/

I was deleting a double post from myself LOL

As long as you don't keep making new posts about same thing, it's all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The more I look at it the more I think it's a diatom bloom. Frequent water changes and it will pass.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom