My tank won't start cycling HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouBoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new to this site, but I have a 56 gallon aquarium that I'm starting over and decided to do a fishless cycle since I heard that it was faster. I went and bought Ace hardware brand which is concentrated at 10% and has no additives or surfactants. This is my first time doing a fishless cycle and would like to know am I doing everything correctly. I set up everything correctly , filled tank and added enough ammonia to get the ppm up to 4, after 7 days of not getting a nitrite spike or reading, I lowered the ammonia ppm from 4 to 2 in hopes of jump starting the cycle. It has been 9 days since I first put in the ammonia and everywhere I have read say I should be seeing some type of nitrite movement by now. My readings were: Ammonia-2ppm, Nitrite-0 and Nitrates-0. I then went and got some Bio-Spira added to the tank, and now I'm really confused. I have Ammonia-2ppm, Nitrite-0, and Nitrates-10-20. Im using an API mater test kit and very lost right now, my PH is between 7 and 7.2, my temperature is at 86 degrees, and is have my Fluval U4 underwater filter acting a powerhead with another Aquaclear 50 powerhead agitating the surface for oxygen along with an air pump. Any help will be greatly appreciated and will answer any questions you have.

Welcome to the forum.

It can take 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. You merely lost your patience too soon in. Adding the Bio-Spora didn't help your case at all. Lowering the ammonia dose from 4 to 2 didn't help your case at all. You can't rush cycling a tank. You want it to be done right.

I would suggest you do a 50% water change and then continue with the ammonia until you are cycled.

Ok thanks, so basically a fishless cycle is no shorter than a fish in cycle then. I changed the PPM because I heard that I might have had it too high, and like I said this is my first fishless ever doing, then the chart is hard to read, some of the colors are too close to the next color. Ill do the water change a let it be. So what PPM should have the ammonia at because I've heard different levels.

BayouBoy said:
Im new to this site, but I have a 56 gallon aquarium that I'm starting over and decided to do a fishless cycle since I heard that it was faster. I went and bought Ace hardware brand which is concentrated at 10% and has no additives or surfactants. This is my first time doing a fishless cycle and would like to know am I doing everything correctly. I set up everything correctly , filled tank and added enough ammonia to get the ppm up to 4, after 7 days of not getting a nitrite spike or reading, I lowered the ammonia ppm from 4 to 2 in hopes of jump starting the cycle. It has been 9 days since I first put in the ammonia and everywhere I have read say I should be seeing some type of nitrite movement by now. My readings were: Ammonia-2ppm, Nitrite-0 and Nitrates-0. I then went and got some Bio-Spira added to the tank, and now I'm really confused. I have Ammonia-2ppm, Nitrite-0, and Nitrates-10-20. Im using an API mater test kit and very lost right now, my PH is between 7 and 7.2, my temperature is at 86 degrees, and is have my Fluval U4 underwater filter acting a powerhead with another Aquaclear 50 powerhead agitating the surface for oxygen along with an air pump. Any help will be greatly appreciated and will answer any questions you have.

Ok,
First nitrospira is a no2 to no3 converter so it wont help for now...

But 10 days is not much if you havent put establish media or another bacteria sources!

It can take up to 30 days depending on you water chemistry or temperature!

The faster is temperature 29-30C, ph 7.4 to 7.8, kh of 80-100 and gh 100-120.

Dont go to fast its never good with this hobby!

And remember it will fall within 24 hours once its started!

Same for nitrite after, it will be stable or raising and when bacteria will be ready that will go down within 24 hours!

Yea i Think I might have had the ammonia at 8 ppm because of the colors being so close to each other, it not at 2 ppm, its at 4, just checked. I'll just leave it there and ride it out. I added some rocks from my established tank too about 4 days into the cycle, don't wanna take out the media out of the tank since I have a Jewel cichlid in it. Thanks again.

It seems to be different for everybody.... Just keep thinking 4-6 week overall window. You'll be fine, really! ;)

As everyone else said, you're doing fine. It can take 2-3 weeks for ammonia to start dropping, after that nitrites usually follow in week 3-5. This is all on average; everyone's tank is different. Fishless cycles aren't faster than fish-in cycles, it's just easier on you and the fish. With a fish-in cycle you'd be doing daily water changes for 4-8 weeks.

It'll be worth it in the end. :)

Took 3 weeks for the ammonia to drop during my cycle (currently ongoing, hope to be cycled soon) patience usually isn't my strong point but i have to try and take my mind off of it between water tests :)

Doesn't explain the nitrates though. Any answers on that part

Someone else can probably explain it better than me but nitrates are just a byproduct of the cycling process (in other words, a form of waste). They should rise as your cycle progresses (the more conversion you start having the more nitrates should rise). The only way to get nitrates down are through water changes; but nitrates can rise high during a fishless cycle without any harm. When you have fish in the tank though you'll want to keep them under 20 at all times, which you'll do with your weekly water change.

Well its been 2 weeks and still no change in ammonia :(. A lot of people are telling me that I should be seeing some type of movement by now which im not. Ammonia is constantly reading 4ppm, nitrites-0, but my nitrates are between 10-20, not understanding the nitrates, when I started the tank over it was at 0. I've also been told that I could have too much ammonia for the bacteria to convert. I want to hear someone elses input on this. Thanks.

4 PPM of ammonia shouldn't be too high, much higher than that can be a bit of a problem and it can be hard to tell the difference between the greens on the test kit. If it isn't a very dark green though you are probably fine. Two things you may want to try:

--getting some RO Rite or Seachem Replenish. Some tap water may not have enough minerals in it that can help the bacteria along. It won't hurt to add some and see if it makes a difference.
--get some seeded media. If you don't know of anyone with a tank, you could order an active sponge filter from Angels Plus. They keep their "active" filters in tanks with fish and sell them that way which can help introduce bacteria into your tank; many members, myself included have had good luck using them during fishless cycles. Just make sure the one you get says "active" or else it's just a plain unseeded filter.

Also make sure no contaminant made its way into the tank, such as bleach, cleaning solutions, air fresheners etc and make sure you add dechlorinator to the water when you do water changes or add tap water to the tank. Other than those things, I'd try the minerals and sponge filter mentioned above.

Well it been 3 weeks and no change in ammonia, it's been the same since day 1. Just about to do a 60% pwc wait a few more days and if nothing just order an active filter. This is really starting to get annoying:banghead:
Everywhere suggest I should have something by now. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom