Need any advice for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shopey464

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off thanks for replying.
I need any advice for me starting a tank. I will be getting a 40 gallon tank size as I heard that its easier to start bigger. For the fish I am thinking about some Black Kuhli Loach 2 or 3 and 5 diamon tetra. I need to know if these are good fish for a beginner and any suggestions on what would be a good fit for a tank like this. I am looking more for quantity of fish than size but i would be fine with both.
I also need to know how long I should wait for the tank to cycle before i start adding fish. I have also read places that you can cycle the tank faster by adding a fish? Is that a good mathod or is it risky? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I would recommend fishless cycling. I've found it to be faster and much, much easier.

Also, kuhli loaches are great fish if you're just starting out but at least 5 is best as the prefer to be in groups! They'll be much more active this way generally. They're some of my favorite fish so I hope you get a kick out of keeping them as well.

My tank cycled literally in 2 days. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks. Or 3 weeks. It all depends on bacteria and stuff.

6 diamond tetras and 6 kuhli loaches would be fine, but you could have a lot more fish in there!

I'd say go:

8 diamond tetras
8 kuhli loaches
5 neon dwarf rainbows
2 German blue Rams (as centerpiece)

That would probably be fine.

My tank cycled literally in 2 days. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks. Or 3 weeks. It all depends on bacteria and stuff.

6 diamond tetras and 6 kuhli loaches would be fine, but you could have a lot more fish in there!

I'd say go:

8 diamond tetras
8 kuhli loaches
5 neon dwarf rainbows
2 German blue Rams (as centerpiece)

That would probably be fine.

German blue rams may not be the best option for a beginner. They can be sensitive to water quality, so the kinds of beginner mistakes that everyone has made can cause them to go belly-up in no time.

Some type of gourami might be good to look into. Keyhole cichlids are another good option!

Thanks for the feed back! One other question, I'm going to be adding live plants, should I do that right away when I first set it up or will that slow down the cycle process?

I mean should I put them in before or after the cycle process? Or doesn't it really matter?

One other is that if you are tossing up between tank sizes, go for the larger one. Once you have a tank, it is the one constant until it is stripped back down.

Back
Top Bottom