Need help adding mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcoke8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, just started out with a 29 gallon freshwater tank, so far have I have an algae eater (I aquired the tank so not exactly sure the name of the fish) and a bolivian ram-male. We got it for my 2 year old daughter, and I don't really know anything about fish. We're looking for bright and colorful fish that will get along with everyone. kind of on the larger size, i was told 4" would be the largest for my tank. Thank you!

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 53
Hello!

Can we get a pic of the algae eater? There's plenty of types sold as algae eaters. Then we can help identify it.

Have you heard of cycling a tank before?

You could easily do a nice school of tetras or cherry barbs.

Corydoras are also really fun and entertaining bottom feeders to watch :)

Caleb

Please no more fish though until we discuss cycling. I am worried about that bolivian ram in a brand new tank. They are not very hardy fish and very bad to use to cycle a tank :(

I will post a pic later when I get home. I have not heard of cycling a tank. My local fish store said the Bolivian ram would be ok, I checked the ph and it's ideal, I have it writteN Down at home, I believe it's 7.0. I will research about cycling a tank though, thank you for your time.

I will post a pic later when I get home. I have not heard of cycling a tank. My local fish store said the Bolivian ram would be ok, I checked the ph and it's ideal, I have it writteN Down at home, I believe it's 7.0. I will research about cycling a tank though, thank you for your time.

If your pH is 7.0 just don't even worry about it. Unless it magically drops or raises to some extreme level (below 6.0 or above 9.0) then it's just fine your fish will adapt.

Here's some nicely written articles about cycling and its importance in an aquarium.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

The reason for Jens reaction is Rams are on the sensitive side of fish and not good to cycle a tank with due to the drastic change in parameters.

I'd also recommend a Liquid Test Kit if you do not have one. You want one that tests pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Being able to test these ensures your success in cycling your tank.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom