Need help holding to real aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need a little help. I'm almost at the point of upping a 10gal and a 29gal aquarium. I have:
Holding 1:
1 electric green "cory"
2 false julii
Holding 2:
3 glo danios
( all are schooling and I need to buy more. Ordering 6 and hope to at least end up with 4-5 total julii and electric green. 6 total danios. Probably ordering from liveaquaria.com because they have the electric green "cory". Also, will be adding unknown others after plugging selection and amount into the fish calculator for pH, temp and allowed fish. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor )

I will be using Dr. Tim's one & only live denitrifying bacteria and will have plants in the tanks. I will be using his ammonia to kick off the cycle and add fish at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, with water change for nitrate.

Here is where I get confused. If I move my false julii and electric green to 29 gal and danio to 10 gal, should/can I add additional ammonia ( dr Tim's brand also) to keep the good bacteria up or do I just redose with the live bacteria when the ordered ones have passed quarantine?

I'm really confused here.

Also, about how long is a safe quarantine?

IMO it's easier to let the tank do it all by itself with no added ammonia. I know this takes 4 weeks and for that 4 weeks you don't need to touch the tank at all. So if you could i wouldn't put the ammonia in. I would just leave the tank 4 weeks.

Thank you, Tomtom13, you helped me realize that I poorly worded my question. I obscured my real question with specifics. And, I appreciate the suggestion of a different cycling technique

My question is after cycling a tank to capacity, and only adding 3 fish, should one add a small amount of ammonia to keep tank at full capacity or would this endanger the 3 fish.

Additional question, if no additional ammonia, then when moving new ordered fish from holding to real tank 29 or 10 after first 3 are in there. How many new fish can be added at a given time and approximately how many days should one wait b4 adding more?
( I realize I got to go to 0 for ammonia & nitrites, but a guesstimate from experience for when to expect that would be helpful)

I should imagine adding ammonia would put the fish in danger. But if they are hardy fish they should be ok.

It depends on what fish you want to add compared to how many you can put in at one time. I would put how ever many of 1 type of fish there are at one time. For example if you want 10 rummy nose tetras put them all in at one time but don't put any other fish in at the same time.

I would leave it a week between putting fish in. This allows the tank and fish to re-adjust. Hope this helps.

If you have a 10 up and running transfer some of the seeded media from it to the new tank and skip the bacteria in a bottle.

I would also advise against adding ammonia when doing a fish in cycle.

Tomtom13 and MrFisher, thank you both. I think both of you have given me excellent advise.

I wish I had the 10 gallon up, but it looks like the 29 will be up 1st or at the same time.

I now have a better grip on how to proceed. Tomtom13, I liked your ideas on how to add the fish and MrFisher, I'm grateful for your advise on not adding extra ammonia.

I think I'll just order some of the companions for the cory and skip the concept of any others for the time being. I don't want to put more than 2 or 3 in each holding tank and I read in another post people advise 28 days- 6 weeks for QT. ( I think maybe I'll have my tanks totally up by Christmas, but slow is good.) I'm learning so much, and grateful for all help. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom