need help to finish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharmon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to add another 20 pounds of substrate. Do I just put it on top of what I have or mixed it in. It's going to be the same kind.

I will also be adding plants. I plan to do a water change I'm putting 50% of the old tank water back in should I use prime?

What other plants can I use for a 29 gallon tank that will be stocked with
12 Guppies, some Platies and a cory cat. I want Neon Tetras but don't think I have enough room.

I have 1 each Amazon Sword and Java fern.
While I know it's up to me but I just want some feedback on whether or not I should add different plants or just fill out with the same kind I have?

Thanks

I think it should be fine to add the new substrate on top of the old mostly, although I would stir the old stuff up a bit.

Why would you put old water back in?

What's your lighting? What is your substrate? Do you have CO2?

I'm putting some of the old the water back because I thought it would be better for the fish.
I don't have a testing kit yet it's on this shopping list. I forgot about it last time out.
The substrate is pea gravel.
I don't know about the lighting it was with the tank when I found it. I am going to replace it to fit the tank better and give better light.
The florescent bulb has the lettering all rubbed off of it.
No I'm not using CO2 I'm going low tech.

Unless there's something wrong with your water, it would be better to change it. You're going to want to do weekly water changes, and you'll be using Prime for those.

Good low tech plants include Java ferns and anubias. Some mosses.

Have fun setting it up!

I just don't know how much water to leave in for the fish while I add the gravel and plants. So far the tank is running 25 days I haven't lost a fish or plant. The plants don't look any worse than when I put them in.
It's a learn by doing experience.

I have a 29 gallon tank. I want my tank to look similar to the Amazon river. I have pea gravel substrate. I have 2 male and 4 female Guppies.
1) How many plants would look nice and still be low tech?
2) What do I feed the plants?
3) Next I want some plants for fry to hide. What kind?
4) What can I use to build caves for the tank?
5) Which is better shrimp, Plecostomus, Cory or a snail for cleaning? I know snails and Cory Cats like company.

Snails are okay alone, but they aren't really effective cleaners. Nerites are the best cleaners, and they wouldn't match the Amazonian theme.

Plants with small leaves are good for hiding. I have a rotala forest where fry hide successfully from everyone. I didn't have success with that plant until I started with CO2. Little leaves are the key.

I don't know where the line is when CO2 is necessary.

Feeding plants is its whole own thing. On a budget, get some osmocote and gel capsules. Fill the capsules and bury them. I think one for every six inches. Very likely am wrong on that.

Terracotta pots make great caves. You could use an aquarium safe silicone adhesive and roll the pots in gravel to make them match. Be sure to let it cure completely.

I did some research on the Amazon River I'm going to abandon that thought. I have Amazon Sword, Java fern 1 each. I just want some variety in the tank. I never heard of Rotala before. I also never heard of Nerites what are they?
I'm going to have to learn the art of plant feeding. I think I saw an article here that talks about it.
We don't have dedicated fish stores here. All are pet stores that sell fish etc.

I read up on Nerites. I don't have any algae that I can see. I'm mostly looking for something that vacuums the bottom.
I want a snail. The "snail club" made them seem irresistible.
Do they all eat the same food?

Hi all,

To help Sharmon out, the plant thread has been consolidated to this thread below. For new tank and plant help, can answers be posted in this thread please. This is so questions and answers are all in one thread.

If this thread goes to a wrong location, PM me and I'll fix.

New tank and Plant Help needed

Sharmon I had plants in tanks for years without fancy lights or Co2 and just plain old gravel. They thrived on what the fish provided.

Java ferns and Anubias are my favorites and they come in lots of shapes and sizes. You tie them to something which is great if you like to move things around and rearrange the decor.

If I try a new plant it must have the will to live, anything needy or demanding isn't going to be coddled.

Other plants I have had great luck with are dwarf sag, bucephelandra, and crypts.

Swords and Val's melt if you look at them wrong.

Guppy grass is indestructible but will explode into pieces if you touch it. All of them will live and are great if you want fry. But are otherwise messy.

Today was complete water change day. I added another 20 pounds of substrate, planted my new plants.I moved the other ones. And added prime. One plant got trashed it clogged the filter. It's called a Utricularia graminifolia.
I just hope it all survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom