Need help with cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahmed dada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. Can somebody please explain the entire cycling process in detail for a beginner at fish keeping. I have a round 8 gal BiOrb. Tnx

Ahmed dada said:
Thanks that really helped

But my tank was cycled before I got it so I won't need to
What stocking would you recommend I like small colorful hardy fish that are tropicAl. Max fish (small) for my biorb is 12

I need stocking ideas. I'm SET on 6 neon tetras and will NOT change my mind about that:). What else can go with them? I need 6 more fish preferably in shoals because they look cute but also hardy

black hills tj said:
That 12 gallon tank, especially in the shape its in, really limits your options.

So what are my options. I have settled with 6 neon tetras. I'm thinking about guppies but I'm not too keen. I also thought of zebra danios but my previous zebras lived for 12 years! I want fish for like 3-5 years so zebras are out.
So far I have
6 neon tetras

So what are my options. I have settled with 6 neon tetras. I'm thinking about guppies but I'm not too keen. I also thought of zebra danios but my previous zebras lived for 12 years! I want fish for like 3-5 years so zebras are out.
So far I have
6 neon tetras

Most tetras should live 5-10 years. Rummynoses might be an option, but they are very picky about water conditions. Some dwarf cories maybe...not sure about those though since the tank has a small footprint.

black hills tj said:
Most tetras should live 5-10 years. Rummynoses might be an option, but they are very picky about water conditions. Some dwarf cories maybe...not sure about those though since the tank has a small footprint.

My neons in my previous 120 gal lived for 3 years. I had 23 and all died over like 3 months. Will an angelfish fit? Can I keep a small goldfish with the neons? Will platys be ok?

black hills tj said:
Angelfish and goldfish are probably not a good idea. Maybe a couple platies. Some harlequin rasboras or celestial pearl danios ought to be okay.

How does this sound.... 4 zebra danios 6 neon tetras and 2 male guppies?

I changed my mind about the zebras. I want them again. They added life to my previous aquarium and r always hyper:)

Did you say you had an 8 gallon? Neons need at least 10+. And zebra danios require at least 20 gallons (long) and require a school of 6+. As it is, you're overstocked.

I thought that too but the manual an website for my biorb say 12 maximum small tropical fish and neons were recommended. So I chose to have 6 and 6 of something else. My dad has 4 zebra danios in a 7 gallon and they are doing great and are like 1 year old now so they would be fine. How does tis sound------
6 neon tetras
4 zebra danios
1 male guppy
1 female guppy

I want the guppies to breed as people will pay oat for them here

I thought that too but the manual an website for my biorb say 12 maximum small tropical fish and neons were recommended. So I chose to have 6 and 6 of something else. My dad has 4 zebra danios in a 7 gallon and they are doing great and are like 1 year old now so they would be fine. How does tis sound------
6 neon tetras
4 zebra danios
1 male guppy
1 female guppy

I want the guppies to breed as people will pay oat for them here

If you want the guppies to breed to sell, then you'd be better off just starting with a male and a couple females in the tank.

black hills tj said:
If you want the guppies to breed to sell, then you'd be better off just starting with a male and a couple females in the tank.

Ok hows this --
8 neon tetras
4 zebra danios

The neons should thrive because they are in a lovely home and there's 8 of them

In a 8 gallon I wouldn't do more than 3 tetras period! Would you want to live in a closet with 12 people? I think not!! You need one gallon per inch of fish, after decorations you will have 6 gallons. Tetras grow up to two inches....3 tetras equals 6 inches with 6 gallons. You said you were cycled, what are ur water parameters?

You asked about how to cycle then said it was done before you got it, did you get it full of water and take it home already set up with same water still in it or new water?

Back
Top Bottom