Need recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tiger barbs are my favorite but they are a bit too aggressive for your stock IMO. They can be fin nippers.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok I think I will. Just thinking here, if I went barbs instead of apistos, would the option of a few ghost shrimp come back into play? What I have right now is pretty friendly, how would the barbs do with shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I do not want tiger barbs, want peaceful fish and I've heard they can be nippers

Shrimp and fish is just a hit or miss in general unless there is tons of places for them to hide.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hm, yeah I think they are super interesting to watch. I might give it a try but to be honest I don't remember seeing any at the lfs.

How far are you from Lansing? I just got back from visiting my MSU daughter and we went to Preuss Pets, what an amazing store!

I'm in GR so an hour away from lansing. If you ever are on the west side of the state you should stop in bluefish aquarium. It's also amazing.

I keep cherry shrimp work my platies, longfin zebra danios, false julii cories, and nerite snails. However my tank is pretty well planted, but i haven't had any problems so far. Just don't expect any fry to make it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm back to considering apistos. Who cares if they are $15 a piece. But I do have a question no one answered yet, some websites suggest if you just have a pair then the male may pick on the female. They suggest that you have one male and 2-4 females. Is this absolutely necessary?

I'm back to considering apistos. Who cares if they are $15 a piece. But I do have a question no one answered yet, some websites suggest if you just have a pair then the male may pick on the female. They suggest that you have one male and 2-4 females. Is this absolutely necessary?

If you don't want the female to be stressed and constantly trying to hide it is. I keep more female than males with my cherry barbs, scarlet badis, peacocks, Endlers, and clown killies simply for that reason.

I have an update and a problem.

In my 20 high I have 6 corys, 2 otos, 6 neon tetras, 2 red cherry shrimp. Everyone has gotten along fine for a while, why wouldn't they, they are all peaceful, my parameters rock. The shrimp have even spawned a few babies already.

Couple days ago the neon tetras seem to be getting feisty, constantly trying to dart at each other and nip at each other. They aren't even quite full grown yet. A quick google search told me that if neons don't have a predator they can sometimes get aggressive with each other. Well I'm not going to add a predator bc I like the shrimp and I like peace and quiet.

Yesterday I noticed one of the cories was swimming up near the top and in the corner and looked a bit beat up. This morning, dead. I'm ticked. I want to squash the neons for this treachery. Can someone give me some insight on this and perhaps suggest a solution? Should I get rid of the neons? What other completely peaceful fish would be a good fit either with or without the neons?

I'd say get rid of the neons. Please correct me if your experience contradicts this, but I have found gold barbs to be very peaceful and stay really small for a barb.

Back
Top Bottom