need stocking ideas! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a 5 gallon tank from my boyfriend's step mom. She gave it to me since it was cluttering her basement. Its an octagonal tank by marineland I think.
She had a Betta in it before it died. What she gave me included a tank, the cover with light and a filter. I kinda wanna replace the filter though, looks kinda cruddy. But I don't know what filters would work with this shape since it isn't rectangular like my 30g.
I was thinking of stocking it with a single Betta, unless there are other small fish that can fit in a five gallon.
I don't know much about anything that isn't goldfish as I have my current Goldie in a 30g and all fish things I know are about goldfish.

Will send pictures of it if it'll help with any new filter advice.

It depends on the rasbora though. Look into these, I don't know if they can be in a five gallon, but they can be in a 10:
scarlett badis
celestial pearl danio
ember tetra
chili rasbora

Frogs, snails, danios are fun, or shrimp. If you have a little tank, make it interesting.

I have a 7 gallon with my guppy fry in it. They have some java fern to nibble on, a bubbling volcano, and a pyramid to play in. Just give the fish something to do, and they will be fine.

Frogs, snails, danios are fun, or shrimp. If you have a little tank, make it interesting.

I have a 7 gallon with my guppy fry in it. They have some java fern to nibble on, a bubbling volcano, and a pyramid to play in. Just give the fish something to do, and they will be fine.

I was thinking a frog, but the tank is more tall than long/wide. And a filter might be a challenge for semi aquatic frogs that are small.
I saw a few guppies that could work.

Also, sparkling gourami, dwarfn puffer, or pygmy sunfish.
Another option since the tank is an odd size is shrimp. RCS are super fun and colorful.
The easiest option will of course be a betta though since they are easy to find. Some of the nano fish stated are harder to locate.

Also, sparkling gourami, dwarfn puffer, or pygmy sunfish.
Another option since the tank is an odd size is shrimp. RCS are super fun and colorful.
The easiest option will of course be a betta though since they are easy to find. Some of the nano fish stated are harder to locate.

I wanna try some of the fish you stated. I like to read through threads on here and look at pictures of other fish people have. But I never see them at like PetSmart or stores like that. Any tips on how to find more exotic water animals? Also I'm moving to a new apt soon. I won't set up the new tank until I'm settled in and found a good space for it and the stand.

Use google foo to find local aquatic shops. If you are in the States, Animart usually has a decent selection of fish.

Guppies are finicky for a starter fish and they breed like crazy. The tank will probably be quickly overpopulated unless you only get males.

Most nano fish are virtually never available in big box stores. Your best bet would be to check smaller, local places. Or else, try ordering online. I was afraid of ordering fish online at first, but if you get them from a good place, then it is generally pretty easy. After all, all the fish at most pet stores had to be shipped to that store. :)
A couple online resources to try are 1). the classifieds here 2.) Invertebrates by Msjinkzd | Specializing in invertebrates and micro fish from around the world.
3). Home and 4). Pet Supplies and Fish Supplies at That Fish Place - That Pet Place
Some lfs can special order fish too. Even big box stores can do that to an extent. It depends on what their suppliers have though.

A few things:
NO DANIOS IN A 5 GALLON UNLESS THEY ARE CELESTIAL PEARL DANIOS!
buy fish online, it is easier and more successful than you would think.

Back
Top Bottom